Penn Senator 9/0 Handle Side Plate - Old Style

Started by Joekelly1978, May 07, 2020, 08:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joekelly1978

I have an old style Penn Senator 9/0 (115L) that I am looking for handle side plate to replace a broken one. This is my wife's grandfathers reel that I am looking to put back in service for my kids to enjoy one day!  I haven't found the part without buying a whole old reel to remove from. I bought  a new old stock side before I realized they changed the spool bearing; replacing the spool and bearings and parts to use the new side plate is as expensive as buying a used reel.  Anybody have one they'd be willing to sell?  Thank you, Joe

alantani

welcome.  i'll take a look, but i don't think so.  got a couple of more places to dig through.  does condition matter that much? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

yeah, struck out.  6/0 was the biggest i found.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Joe, I purchased a half dozen each of left and right side Plates about 7 years ago.
These are new, I paid $25 each at that time.
If you want it that would be your cost.
If I find a used one you could have it for shipping cost, but Im thinking I don't have any left.

Bushing or bearing?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Sounds like you need the plate with the bushing insert? Question; if going from a 9/0 with say bushings, to a 9/0 with ballbearings would the same spool work on both?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

I'm glad you didn't answer yet.
I just checked my bin and only found 2 left side plates for bushing.
These will not work with bearings.
Sorry about that.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joekelly1978

Quote from: alantani on May 07, 2020, 11:31:24 PM
yeah, struck out.  6/0 was the biggest i found.   :-\

I appreciate you taking the time to look.  Thank you for also running this message board.  I have found some very useful information too!

Joekelly1978

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 08, 2020, 12:32:58 AM
I'm glad you didn't answer yet.
I just checked my bin and only found 2 left side plates for bushing.
These will not work with bearings.
Sorry about that.

Sal

Hi Sal.  I am looking for the original style, where there is a molded insert for the bushing.  I appreciate you taking a look.  I thought I set it up to notify me when I got a response, but guess not.  When I read your first response, I thought I had struck gold.  If you run across one used, I'd be interested too.  Condition only really matters as to be functional.  I'd take a dirty scratched up one if it'd let me get the reel back into service!  Thank you, Joe.

Joekelly1978

Quote from: Gfish on May 08, 2020, 12:32:39 AM
Sounds like you need the plate with the bushing insert? Question; if going from a 9/0 with say bushings, to a 9/0 with ballbearings would the same spool work on both?

You are correct.  I need the plate with the bushing insert molded in.  If you by chance have one, I'd be very interested.  Mystic parts page says you have to replace the spool, in addition to the plate, and bearings.  I would presume you would also then have to replace the other side, but not positive.

Joekelly1978

Quote from: nomdeplume57 on May 08, 2020, 11:09:28 AM
Got pix of the Broken plate ?

Break is pretty bad.

Alto Mare

Your'e in luck Joe, I had a set in a box.
Here is the plate, see if it will do for you:

it also comes with a bonus, it has been milled to accept the second dog...just in case you want to.

Your cost is $5 for shipping, the plate is on me.

I used to cover shipping as well, but been out of work for the past 8 months.

Please send me your address on a PM and I'll send it out when I get a chance.

Sal
By the way Joe, the spots you see on the plate are not scratches, it's glue from the tape I used when grinding out for the second dog.
The plate is in very good shape.

Joekelly1978

Sal - This is very generous of you!  Sending you a private message.