"C" grade spinning reels.....combo throw-a-ways

Started by Crow, December 24, 2019, 10:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I'll agree that more folks "fishing" means a greater impact on the resource. As well as a greater number of those using "unsportman like" behavior (all though the % may not go up...the number will), but that's why the 'old pros" need to make every effort to pass along tips, and knowledge to the "masses" ! Sites like this one go a long way in doing that...besides learning to care for your equipment...there's lots of knowledge on using it, as well as on "protecting the resource". Practicing "good fishing habits" (following the regulations, not being a "game hog', leaving a clean beach when you leave, etc.)is something...I hope !...that we all try to do, and is the best way (by setting a good example) to steer the "newcomers" in the right direction. "preaching" isn't usually taken very well....so advice should be worded so as "not to offend". The younger the "newcomers" are, the easier they can be influenced, and, as I said (IMHO, anyway) setting a good example is the BEST way to do it.  There are a couple of "snowbirds" , here in the campground that ..again, in MY opinion...are really "poor fishermen"....they have really good equipment, and know how to use it....taking CARE of it, maybe not so much :-\, but, what makes them "poor" is their disregard for the creel limits, size limits, and littering laws. And it's pretty hard to "un teach" that kind of behavior, especially to an older person ! We need to catch them when they are "newcomers" to the sport....and I think it's...most often...the "newcomers" that are using the "cheap combos".
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Greg, there a guy over here who watches the fish finder on his kayak and then drops down a Go-Pro to video them.  Sometimes it even works.

I'm glad the moderators are on the ball because that one may have sparked some controversy.

Arlyn, don't ya think that game wardens are useful for some things; including teaching?
-steve

Crow

I'm not "against" game wardens,at all.....I'll admit that some get pretty "harsh", when they really wouldn't have too (the same as any other "position of power" type job...it goes to some folks heads :-\), but most seem to try to "help" the sportsmen...and "wanna be" sportsmen, as much as they can, and I guess that would fall under "teaching"....I see them at our local "Kids Fishing Derbies"...Boy Scout meetings, etc.....doing lots of good stuff. And, without "regulation"...in our home area, anyway....there wouldn't BE any game to hunt, or fish to catch...there are too many game hogs, poachers, and outright crooks.
    I know that some some "factions" want "NO" regulations, or management at all...just as some factions want "NO" hunting , fishing, or trapping, at all, but, IMHO, the logical course is down the "middle of the road"...a "managed resource", that's regulated, and 'hopefully" administered fairly.

Yesterday....I pulled two "cheap combos" out of a trash can , on the beach.......all snarled up, tip broken off one rod, both reels full of sand. I told the Maintainence Guy at the campground about this site...and this thread (he fishes with me quite often), and he said, "Why not fix them up, and I'll give them to some kid , in the campground, this summer ? There's always some kids who want to go fishing."....sound like a good plan, to me  :)!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !