Hannon Wave-Spin DH4000

Started by Midway Tommy, May 09, 2020, 02:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Kevin wanted a look inside so I opened mine up. Standard Asian design with lots of ball bearings (8+1) & brass pinion with pot metal gearing. At least this reel has an oscillation gear. I've seen some with a level-wind type oscillation bar/gear  :P , which are smooth but I doubt they'll last with hard use. The body is graphite & spool is aluminum. It feels almost like the spool weighs as much as the rest of the reel.  :)  I didn't dig into the drag setup. Anti-reverse is infinite & immediate. Looks like they used Reel Butter for grease, I don't think it is Cal's tan. It seems crazy to think that you have to remove the rotor nut just to be able to get to the upper screws that hold the side plate on.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Looks pretty standard internally except the bearings on the bottom of the oscillation slider and a pretty substantial rub rail for the top side of the slider on the side plate which are nice touches. The majority of recently manufactured reels I've worked on require you to remove the rotor to get at the hidden side plate screw or screws. I'm not a big fan of that, but it is pretty much the norm now days.
That spool top side sure is interesting though. You said it seems to work as intended if I remember correctly.

Midway Tommy

Well I decided that since I had this thing apart, even though it probably didn't need it, I would go ahead and tear it down and give it a thorough cleaning. It's not a real bad reel, just pretty typical of most of the newer Asian made stuff. It has an aluminum spool and cast rotor, and the body is graphite. Guaranteed if it is taken apart very many times the graphite body screw holes will be stripped. The chrome looking covers are plain old plastic. At least the oscillation block is pot metal. The body says "8+1 BB". There are two on the pinion, two on the oscillation block, one on each side of the main gear for the handle, one on the oscillation gear, one on the line roller and one in the top of the spool. Some are awful tiny but I guess they make things smooth because this is a really smooth working reel.

Did my normal cleaning process by soaking non painted metal parts in lacquer thinner and using Original White Goop and warm water with Dawn on all painted & plastic parts.

Here's the parts ready to put back together. I used Super Lube and synthetic oil for lubrication. This thing has a boatload of drag washers! Six stainless steel and six felt washers. The felt washers were like new. If you look close you can see the little ball bearing in the top of the spool.

It has the newer style bail spring setup but the compression spring and trip arm are separate. You can also see the line roller ball bearing. That chrome cover is actually painted plastic.

The oscillation gear has a ball bearing in the center under the screw. You can see the right side main gear ball bearing. The pinion has a ball bearing on each side of the anti-reverse spacer bushing. There is a little stud on the blue plastic tab that holds the anti-reverse compression spring in a slot in the neck of the body and the retaining plate holds everything in place. The anti-reverse rod & lever flip it on and off. 

Here the process is different than with most older reels. The main shaft and oscillation block are installed next because two side plate screws are under the rotor. The click gear and washer are removable so they can be installed after the rotor is fastened to the pinion. The oscillation block is pot metal and you can see the two ball bearings on it for smoothness.

Next step is to install the main gear. There's a ball bearing on the left handle side, too.

The side plate goes on before the rotor since the rotor covers the front two screws.

Now it's time to install the rotor. The nut and pinion are left hand thread. There is a set screw that keeps the nut from turning. The click gear and washer just slip onto the main shaft.

Lastly I'll install the back chrome cover plate, it's painted plastic, too, oil port screw, handle, spool and drag knob.

The reel weighs 13 oz without line.

The aluminum spool weighs 2.85 oz.

It's a nice looking and very smooth operating reel but I doubt, with extensive or hard use, that it would last very long. It does have a unique and interesting spool design, though.  :)

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 09, 2020, 04:00:21 AM
The majority of recently manufactured reels I've worked on require you to remove the rotor to get at the hidden side plate screw or screws. I'm not a big fan of that, but it is pretty much the norm now days.

Same here...wonder who came up with that...and why did all the other sheep follow him? :-\

Nice job Tommy. It does make a guy wonder though...in 30 years...will all those tiny bearings still spin? 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

Quote from: mo65 on May 22, 2020, 11:20:16 PM
Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 09, 2020, 04:00:21 AM
The majority of recently manufactured reels I've worked on require you to remove the rotor to get at the hidden side plate screw or screws. I'm not a big fan of that, but it is pretty much the norm now days.

Same here...wonder who came up with that...and why did all the other sheep follow him? :-\

Nice job Tommy. It does make a guy wonder though...in 30 years...will all those tiny bearings still spin? 8)

I think even had a few budget Shimano rear-drags like that
that's right -- rotor rattles between body & crossbar, until you can free the spool shaft  :o