Vintage Daiwa 955. Cannot find any information online.

Started by Riy2018, May 12, 2020, 08:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riy2018

I got one like new reel Daiwa 955. Cannot find any information online.
looks vintage from 70s.
has anyone experience with this model.

Thank you
Adding comparison photo

Midway Tommy

No experience with it but it was an early Daiwa example. Daiwa started manufacturing spinning reels in 1955. The 955 was from 1958ish. It came in a couple of colors, dark brown and a gunmetal dark blue. You have to see the gunmetal dark blue to visualize it, it's kind of in between the names.

Here's an example of the gunmetal dark blue in the 730 model. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Riy2018

Good Day,

Thank you.
I feel more and more that Daiwa had a better technology and design compare to Penn reels.
many old Daiwa reels feel more solid and stronger body build.

mo65

I don't know anything about it either...but it looks like a nice reel. I'd like to see the insides. From that time frame there may be brass or steel under the hood. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cuttyhunker

I remember in the 70's Daiwa making a play for the medium salt water market with a campaign using Charlie Tilton a long time Cuttyhunk striper guide as the poster boy in a series of Salt Water Sportsman ads.  He was a WW1 vet, native islander, and salty as they come. I do remember that privately he did like the D's and fished them even when the factory guys and photogs were absent.  He was also extremely fond of the checks and being comped the gear.  Kencor, imported from Japan as well for a short time, making some inroads  with their "940 Drum" reel, about the same size as a 113H at a better price point, that the guides, always tight with a buck liked.  Penn held out in the end, the Kencor's were good enough, the Penn's better, the Daiwa's at least as good as the Penns however the guys were already invested in the Philadelphia product with the parts bins to keep em going and were reluctant to switch to a different pretty much equal reel.  These were pre Lexus days, and still the bias was strong, viewing Japanese products as generally inferior.
Handsome old spinner, is it broken or just looking for info?
Doomed from childhood

Riy2018

I waiting until weekends.  ;D
will open to see inside and add some reels oil.
I`m planing to take some photos.
new experience

Bryan Young

That's a beautiful vintage reel. Probably strong and could last a lifetime.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Riy2018

Good Day,
I finally was able to open reel.  ;D
and unfortunately it is broken inside.
I dont know what the part name.
Im asking assistance from gurus.

Thank you

Midway Tommy

It's a little tough to tell for sure with all the grease and the thick blue circle but it appears to be the crosswind block. If so, is it pot metal or plastic? Maybe you could clean the grease off, take another photo and not circle it?

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Riy2018

Good Day Gurus

Could you please assist me with possible repair for enclosed reels part.
I sent my message to Dennis in NJ - unfortunately he doesnot have available parts.

The broken part is made from some kind of metal not sure what it is.

Midway Tommy

The part material is pot metal, which is not very strong. I'd say it will be difficult, at best, to find an exact replacement. Keep looking and hopefully you'll get lucky.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Riy2018

I was watching video on youtube how people use 3D printers to make parts.
some polypropylene materials very strong.
will try it.

Thank you

foakes

In my experience -- the crosswind blocks that are generally made of a softer pot metal -- will break like this when old grease is allowed to harden from being stored too long.  The grease turns solid due to temperature changes (hot and cold)-- and it actually puts up enough jamming resistance to blow out these crosswind blocks when an unknowing person just tries to crank the handle against and through the resistance (hey, I got it to crank, but something is not right -- probably just needs more grease -- off to e-Bay or the yard sale it goes).

Plus, this is not limited to Daiwa reels -- all reels with this weakly designed crosswind block made from a material slightly softer than hardened grease -- are at risk of this part failing.

Manufacturers used this material because it was cheaper to produce, was smooth if serviced regularly, and would in theory -- wear out before damage was done to the rest of the reel.  Good theory, as long as parts were still available.

I will check my ancient shop manual archives for a schematic and parts list -- then, if successful, and you still need the part -- some of my parts sources may have one.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Riy2018

I sent an email to Daiwa international sites- got replay from England, they are going to check if the ever had this reel on sale.
Also one of ebay guys offered 3dxprint . Im not sure of this will be strong enough but giving them a try.

Thank you

Riy2018

I was unable to find replacement part. Daiwa England also reported that they cant find model.
I found company computer designers in Florida makes printed 3d Models on scanner.
for $25 they made few templates and after some filing I was able to fix my reel.
please see enclosed pictures.
please let me know if you are interested I have ebay link ;D