110n line roller question

Started by Ski, May 14, 2020, 10:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ski

I have a 110n in great shape. I was looking it over and noticed that the line roller doesn't spin.
Are they designed to be stationary? I loosened the nut a hair and put some play in it, but the spring tension from the bail would cause it to bind.  I searched the forum and couldn't find out if the roller was a stationary one.

foakes

The roller is stationary, Ski -- not designed to roll.

It is made from tungsten-carbide.  It will likely never wear out.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ski

Thanks for a quick answer Fred!  Also, do these little quicks handle braid well? I'm wanting to set it up for float fishing with braid since it tends to lay on top of the water .

foakes

They will probably do OK with light braid.  I have never tried it since except for saltwater usages -- I am an old school mono guy that discards his line every year.  Line is the cheapest connection between you and your next fish.

Some of the guys on here do use braid successfully -- they will have some good opinions.

One issue is that braid could/might cut into the plastic spool edge -- if enough resistance was encountered over time.

If you notice this starting to happen with your spool -- just use a little square of fine grit emory cloth tape to clean up any gouge -- and switch to mono.

Really depends on the types of fish you are after, your drag & rod handling techniques, plus the type of braid.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

L/UL float, you're not really casting for distance
for ease of handling, go w/ 20#, or even 30#:
sits on top better; easier to mend; good spool capacity w/out backing
IMO, bright-blue is the best color for BOTH, stealth (for fish) & visibility (for angler)

DougK

I wouldn't use braid on a stationary line guide like this, but mostly I spinfish which involves a lot of retrieving.. for float fishing it probably would take a long time to wear out.

They do wear out eventually - wore out a tungsten carbide guide on a Mitchell 308, and the guide on the ancient hard-used 110 I bought, had the beginnings of a groove. I just moved it around a quarter turn, by the time it wears out  I won't care anymore..

foakes

Quote from: DougK on June 04, 2020, 10:00:59 PM
I wouldn't use braid on a stationary line guide like this, but mostly I spinfish which involves a lot of retrieving.. for float fishing it probably would take a long time to wear out.

They do wear out eventually - wore out a tungsten carbide guide on a Mitchell 308, and the guide on the ancient hard-used 110 I bought, had the beginnings of a groove. I just moved it around a quarter turn, by the time it wears out  I won't care anymore..

If you want a line guide, Doug -- just PM me your mailing information -- I will drop one in the mail, N/C.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.