Side play (pulling left to right) on ABu reel handle. It's just a smidge but...

Started by pointbob, September 25, 2023, 03:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

I have an Abu 5600c4 that I have upgraded with smooothie drags and washers. I don't know if this problem was happening before the washers, but I think it was.... I have a smidge side-to-side play in the handle, as it sits on the shaft.

Any advice for me?
Patience comes to those who wait

nelz

There's a tiny copper shim that sits at the base of the gear sleeve shaft. It's very easy to misplace and when it's left out you'll get that side play.

borntofish

The new drag washers may be slightly less in thickness which can create a bit of play.

pointbob

thanks; does the slight play affect the reel in a negative - cause premature wear on anything? I'd hate the handle to fall off. That's happened once before.

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 25, 2023, 04:18:39 PMThe C-clip is installed, right?
Dude, you stole my line lol!
I literally just posted if you have the e-clip on there, right?
And it said somebody just posted lol

pointbob

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 25, 2023, 04:18:39 PMThe C-clip is installed, right?

yes absolutely. (worlds stupidest design by the way but yes..c-clip is there)...

i should up load a video...

Keta

It is the shim under the AR ratchet.  Drag stack "play" is taken up by the star.

I was going to mention the "c" clip but I'm in 3rd place on it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pointbob

Quote from: Keta on September 25, 2023, 05:23:58 PMIt is the shim under the AR ratchet.  Drag stack "play" is taken up by the star.

I was going to mention the "c" clip but am in 3rd place on it.

ar? is that the anti reverse ratchet..i'll check that too

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

I'm gonna throw out an idea I'm probably wrong about but maybe not.

There is a slight difference in sleeve and post lengths between earlier and later ambassadeurs. I discovered this as i was mixing and matching parts to put together a dual AR (dog and ARB). The mismatch i first encountered saw it become hard to turn the handle after the C clip went on because there wasn't enough clearance.

I could see how the opposite mismatch would result the axial play/movement you describe.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

Mark Twain

pointbob

update;

it was indeed the SHIM. Weirdly there was already a shim there at the bottom of post so I magyvered a 2nd shim out of a beer can. I cut a small round shim with scissors and punched a hole in the middle with screwdriver. Slid it on the post and everything was tight again. Virtually no play in the handle laterally and the rest of the reel work fine. Thanks all.