The Ambassadeur 9000

Started by mo65, May 15, 2020, 06:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

This is the first one of these large Ambassadeurs I've owned. We fished with 5000s and 6000s, 5500s and 6500s, I even have a Chinese 6600, but I had never even seen these larger models designed for saltwater until I started collecting reels. I'm surprised more catfishermen don't use these reels...they seem like a natural...maybe down the road I'll expose some kind of problem. As of now, I can't say anything bad, after the servicing this reel casts fantastic. Installing Smoothdrag Carbontex drags made the drag super smooth. I think it's even smoother than the Penns I've upgraded.
   If you need a complete tutorial to make it through these reels, the one here by BigT will help. So as not to bore you with repeated material, I've just covered the differences between that 10,000CL he used and this 9000, and touched on some points of interest. This old ad does a great job of introducing one to these classic Ambassadeurs.(click on image to enlarge)

The first difference you'll find is the handle nut. It's not your typical Ambassadeur set up, but I think I like it better. Under the center screw is a lock for the nut to keep it from backing off.

This part that holds the gear sleeve on the post is much easier to deal with than the typical c-clip found on most ambassadeurs.

The transfer gear and it's drag washers slide right off the sleeve. The bottom drag washer(far left) is hard fiber and the top drag washer(right of gear) is leather.

Before the main gear and the pinion can be removed, this spring and retainer(circled in yellow) must be removed. Be careful...this will leave Earth's orbit easily! :o

The main gear has a leather drag washer both top and bottom, plus the typical drag clicker of the era.

After cleaning the pinion it can be seen that it is brass on the main part and steel on the transfer part. Hmm...interesting...

Another point of interest is the bearings. They have a pin(red arrow) that holds them from spinning, not something I've seen in the smaller Ambassadeurs. Another difference is the Centrifugal brake...this one sports three brake blocks...where the smaller models only have two.

I noticed a problem while playing around with this transfer gear. It had one cog rounded on the ratchet(circled in blue), and the dog would slip over it. I filed it a bit deeper and cured the hiccup. ;)

The tid bits cleaned up fantastically, shown here with the new Smoothdrag Carbontex drags. I left that old line on the spool just so I could test casting and drag power. The green felt oil retainer was still in place...usually these guys are long gone.

While laying out the drags I noticed the top drag for the transfer gear wouldn't fit into the gear.

Just a few quick zips with the Dremel tool and it was good to go. The large drags for the main gear were also a bit tight, and easily remedied.

Applying some fresh Penn blue grease to the free spool assembly.

Applying Cal's grease to the new drags.

Before going any further...be sure to get this bearing back in place...something I got schooled on. :-\

Once the pinion and yoke have been resecured(green arrow) you can continue assembling the drag/gear stack.

With the gear stack all in place, we can button up this side of the reel.

The other side is basic Abu...no big surprises or pit falls.

I oiled the green felt oil retainer, although I'm not sure what it actually lubes.

Here is how that friction washer lock goes into place.

With the handle back on, she's a finished reel. I'm not sure how well these performed for their intended use, saltwater fishing, but for river catfishing it looks promising. I really dig this reel...got a feeling I'll have to try fishing it. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Wow, great looking old Abu I've never seen.  Very interesting all around, especially the brake blocks.

What size Penn conventional would the size of these 9000 compare to?

mo65

Quote from: festus on May 15, 2020, 07:16:27 PM
What size Penn conventional would the size of these 9000 compare to?

Here it is beside the 209 Chester...very close in size...diameter is nearly identical and width is only a tad more for the 209. The big difference is how the 9000 sits on a rod, much lower than the 209, resulting in a better center of gravity and easier operation. You can see how the 9000's stand doesn't even touch the table in the pic...this is what lowers it on the rod. 8)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

xjchad

Very cool Mo!!
Looks like a great reel as you said, perfect for catfishing!

Please update this once you are able to test the drag and casting performance.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

basto

Beautiful reel. First model 9000. You don't see many red ones. Nice find!
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on May 15, 2020, 10:25:59 PM
Please update this once you are able to test the drag and casting performance.

The drag power is typical of these older Abu reels that have the skinny drags and clicker in the center of the gear. It made 13 pounds fully finger tight, but that was buttery smooth, and plenty enough for catfishing.
   I tied on a 2 ounce sinker and let 'er fly. It's about 70 yards to the woods from my back porch...and it got there every time...without even the hint of a backlash. The two speed feature seems to be working great also. I can feel it shift when applying pressure to the line, and counting the spool revolutions it appears to go from about 4:1 down to about 2.5:1. 8)

Robert Janssen

Yes, very nice reel indeed. Great photography too.

CapeFish

Very nice thanks for sharing, I had a 9000, very nice reel, super smooth caster

xjchad

Sounds like a winner Mo!!!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on May 17, 2020, 04:56:09 PM
   The drag power is typical of these older Abu reels that have the skinny drags and clicker in the center of the gear. It made 13 pounds fully finger tight, but that was buttery smooth, and plenty enough for catfishing.

I was about to ask about the drag then I saw this, btw, beautiful reel Mo, nice work on the clean up.

the old black abu 7000c has 4 drag washer system, one big and narrow under the main gear and 3 big sized washers on the main gear, this reel can reach 20#, maybe thats why you see more 7000 size abu on catfishing than those 9000 and 10000 size
The Baja Guy

mo65

Quote from: steelfish on May 18, 2020, 05:09:57 PM
The old black abu 7000c has 4 drag washer system, one big and narrow under the main gear and 3 big sized washers on the main gear, this reel can reach 20#, maybe thats why you see more 7000 size abu on catfishing than those 9000 and 10000 size.

I like those 7000s too Alex. It's kind of like the difference between an old 5000 and a 5500. The 5000 has the skinny drags, and the 5500 has the wider ones, and also makes more power. I did notice after I got the reel all back together that I'm missing one drag spacer...the schematic calls for three and I only have two. That might add a few pounds to the max. 8)

borntofish

You might be able to help with my reel. It's a 10,000C. A black one but quite old with 73 stamped on the reel seat. It seems mechanically identical to yours. I have put it back together with carbontex washers I have cut myself. The drag is intermittently very weak then comes on very strong. Not sure if the washers are the right thickness being 0.75 mm. 

Walleye Guy

Regarding the anti-rotation pin in the bushing, I used to have a red 5000 (I think 1965 per the serial number) that had one bushing with the pin and one bushing with the stake mark.  The attached picture is the bushing with the pin.

Gfish

Wow! I missed this one. I had one of these, but someone in Lahaina, Maui has it now. A nice old Abu with an interesting internal design. No ball bearings is good ball bearings. I used mine mostly for trolling.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!