Trying to decide.. SS Sleeve or Handle upgrade

Started by Brandon G, May 17, 2020, 09:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Hello!

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to an SS sleeve or get a new handle.
I am currently using a 24-49 handle which is pretty large and I love it. It has a pinkish handle, which I wish was a dark red to match the maroon.

I'm going to be getting a BLACK Tiburon frame for it. I am having troubles finding pictures to "color coordinate" it.

I plan on using this Squidder for surf fishing in WA, so I doubt I'm going to be catching anything too crazy.. at least where I am.
I have the plastic spool on it.
I have included pictures in case I'm forgetting anything.

Please advise!

Thank you in advance!
Tight Lines :)

Swami805

If the handle feels comfortable to you keep it. I like that bigger handle too on those small reels, it does make the retrieve "feel" slower though. For me I'd get an aluminum spool first,but that's me. I think the spool would fail before the gear sleeve
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

If you upgrade the handle/handle arm you should really put in a SS gear sleeve, especially if you upgrade the drag.   Stock gear sleeves will round out with the added force.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

As long as you keep that drag set under 10 lbs. the stock sleeve should get you by...but like Lee said...if you're going to work the reel hard the ss sleeve is a must. Sheridan's advise about the spool is good too, going over 10lbs. will stress that also. And there's not much need for an aluminum frame if you're not going over 10lbs. max drag. I guess I'm saying if you plan to fish it hard...all those other items will be needed. It's all a matter of personal taste and money. You can upgrade to a complete beast...or have fun with a well prepared stock reel. I think I'd fish it stock first...see how she handles...then decide how far to go.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

I'm with Lee and Moe, upgrade the drag to CF, see how you like it. If it's adequate for what your doing you're good. Get the stock frame tweaked square and the bearings spinning freely and it should cast really well with the plastic spool. If you're going for heavier drag pressure SS sleeve,ss dog, 1 piece frame and AL spool so you don't start breaking stuff.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

Agree with the other folk.  Just fishing the reel the way that it is will work fine for surf fishing in WA.  It will also work fine for salmon, shallow water rockfish and even albacore.  The weak point will be the plastic spool.   The plastic spools cast really well, but they will blow up under load with mono.  Better to fish plastic spools with braid, if you are comfortable casting the stuff.

I would suggest having  a backup spool (aluminum or Newell graphite)

If you do decide to upgrade, agree with the others.  Start with some carbon fiber drag washers and then a stainless gear sleeve.  No reason to upgrade the handle if you like the one you have.

If you want to make the reel better for surf fishing in rough surf, I would bypass the aluminum frames, or anything aluminum.  Too many corrosion issues to deal with for a surf reel.  I would look for a Newell graphite spool.  And there are plenty of Newell graphite bar and reel seet kits on the auction site for about half the price of a Tiburon frame.   I just saw a squidder with the full Newell kit and spool for about the same price as a Tiburon frame.  With  a graphite frame kit and spool, you would be farther  ahead in the anti-corrosion game. 

But a backup spool and some lubed  CF washers are all that you need.  The rest is extra credit.

-J

Brandon G

Thank you for all the information! Does modern mono tighten like older mono did? I thought they fixed that?!
I was planning on using Dacron backing, then some mono for the squidder. Or just braid. I haven't jumped into that bucket of decision yet.

I have already purchased the tiburon frame. I think Newells are very nice looking, but the tiburon looks meaner to me.

I think I'm going to just upgrade the sleeve first, then worry about the handle.
I already have the smooth drag CF kit, just waiting on CALS that I ordered literally 30 days ago on AMAZON.... I put a new order in at Mystic and had a tracking number for the order next day, so I will get that order with CALS before my 4/16 order... haha

Does anybody have a good link on magging a squidder? I looked at the Surfmaster tutorial, but I'm fresh out of BB tins.. haha I was hoping to look at a few different methods, but I might just figure it out like he did.
When I tackle that, I will definitely look into an aluminum spool.

Is there any other difference between the 140L and the 146 besides spool capacity? That is my next reel I'm gunning for.

Keta

If you fill the spool 1/2-2/3 with Dacron or Spectra the plastic spool will be OK.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brandon G

Quote from: Keta on May 17, 2020, 09:44:43 PM
If you fill the spool 1/2-2/3 with Dacron or Spectra the plastic spool will be OK.
Thank you! I was planning just a few layers... great to know! I assume any dacron will suffice being the same # weight or higher? If I was going to use 18-20# mono, should I use 20# dacron or 30#?

Keta

30# Daccron will work, if you use Spectra go with 60/65#.

Mark Twain