Dead Long bolt Newell

Started by Newell Nut, May 18, 2020, 09:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on May 19, 2020, 07:00:28 AM
Happy birthday Dwight!

What do you think was going through Carl Newell's mind when he designed that system, and the plastic bearing adjusters?!

Randy,

Baffles me Randy. He did so many great things with Newell reels and then that long bolt thing just tarnished everything. The plastic bearing adjuster did not hold up well over time either. If the long bolt had been a better grade of material it may have worked out differently.

Sea conditions are looking decent this morning so hope the fish bite.

Dwight

Alto Mare

Happy Birthday again Mr. Universe!!🙂
Enjoy your day!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Happy birthday Dwight!

What do you think was going through Carl Newell's mind when he designed that system, and the plastic bearing adjusters?!

Randy, if you come up with a couple of those metal hens teeth drive side replacement caps let me know. I've heard of them but never seen any.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jurelometer

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 19, 2020, 08:35:59 AM
Happy birthday Dwight!

Randy,

Baffles me Randy. He did so many great things with Newell reels and then that long bolt thing just tarnished everything. The plastic bearing adjuster did not hold up well over time either. If the long bolt had been a better grade of material it may have worked out differently.

Dwight

While the long bolts and plastic bearing cups may not have worked out, there was a logical reason to Newell to give it a try.

The long bolts more evenly distribute the load on both sides, and more importantly they replace the blind hole threaded inserts.   Metal threaded inserts in plastic tend to be a point of failure.   If you mold the part around the insert,  it cools and shrinks at a different rate than the plastic (usually the plastic wants to shrink more), and the plastic touching the insert cools at a different rate than the rest of the part.  One of the keys to getting a long lasting injectetion molded plastic part is to have it cool and shrink evenly, so that stresses are not built into the part that will cause it to crack over time.   This also is why injection molded parts tend to have a uniform thickness.

If you press in the inserts (even with vibration or heat) after molding, they are vulnerable to backing out the way that they went in, especially if the screws are tightened beyond a safe level of torque.

Regarding the plastic bearing cups,  ball bearings have to be made with steel that can be hardened.  The higher  carbon stainless used for bearings is less saltwater corrosion resistant than other grades of stainless.   Plastic cups would not corrode and fuse to the bearing, making bearing removal easier.

It might  have been cheaper to build the reels with long bolts and plastic cups if enough reels were made to recoup the change-of-production costs, but I suspect that this was not what was driving the design changes.

If you keep striving to make a better piece of equipment, not all of the steps are going to be forward.  But at some point, you reach a point of dimishing returns.   Hard to know exactly where that point is until after you have passed it.

And happy. B-day and good luck on the fishing to Dwight!

-J

Brendan

Just noticed this. Happy Birthday!
Brendan.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Rancanfish on May 19, 2020, 03:50:45 PM
Happy birthday Dwight!

Randy, if you come up with a couple of those metal hens teeth drive side replacement caps let me know. I've heard of them but never seen any.

Randy, I have a few of the plastic caps for the drive side, but none of the metal.  I have seen them on reels, but not as spare parts.  Maybe someone else reading this can let you know where you might be able to find them.

Rancanfish

Sorry for hijacking Dwight's birthday wishes.  I swear I was going to copy and paste to a PM.

Thanks for the reply.

Swami805

You can get SS bearing caps on ebay
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

I finished the rebirth of the Newell S332 5. My first thoughts were to convert to a short screw set up but knowing that the long bolt is actually stronger and I wash my equipment I decided to keep it original. I installed a Tib frame on one of my wife's reels that had long screws and I kept the parts so I had everything to make it like new again. I also upgraded the drag to CFs and installed a SS bearing adjuster. Spool spins really fast and it is solid as a can be.
Dwight

Newell Nut

Quote from: jurelometer on May 19, 2020, 04:12:45 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on May 19, 2020, 08:35:59 AM
Happy birthday Dwight!

Randy,

Dwight

While the long bolts and plastic bearing cups may not have worked out, there was a logical reason to Newell to give it a try.

The long bolts more evenly distribute the load on both sides, and more importantly they replace the blind hole threaded inserts.   Metal threaded inserts in plastic tend to be a point of failure.   If you mold the part around the insert,  it cools and shrinks at a different rate than the plastic (usually the plastic wants to shrink more), and the plastic touching the insert cools at a different rate than the rest of the part.  One of the keys to getting a long lasting injectetion molded plastic part is to have it cool and shrink evenly, so that stresses are not built into the part that will cause it to crack over time.   This also is why injection molded parts tend to have a uniform thickness.

If you press in the inserts (even with vibration or heat) after molding, they are vulnerable to backing out the way that they went in, especially if the screws are tightened beyond a safe level of torque.

Regarding the plastic bearing cups,  ball bearings have to be made with steel that can be hardened.  The higher  carbon stainless used for bearings is less saltwater corrosion resistant than other grades of stainless.   Plastic cups would not corrode and fuse to the bearing, making bearing removal easier.

It might  have been cheaper to build the reels with long bolts and plastic cups if enough reels were made to recoup the change-of-production costs, but I suspect that this was not what was driving the design changes.

If you keep striving to make a better piece of equipment, not all of the steps are going to be forward.  But at some point, you reach a point of dimishing returns.   Hard to know exactly where that point is until after you have passed it.

And happy. B-day and good luck on the fishing to Dwight!

-J

I can side with Newell on long bolts about strength and they actually only a failure with negligent people. My first Newell 540 3.2 from 1992 had long bolts and I fished it 20 years before putting a Tiburon frame in it. That was also the first time the reel had ever been opened and there was zero defect with my long bolts because I keep my reels clean after each use. I have some 600s that have long bolts and no issue for me personally because I keep them clean. So knowing how I am I decided to return the S332 back to original with newer long bolts from my stash.

Dwight

Rancanfish

jurelometer

Mebbe Mr Carl should have included a tiny tin of grease and some instructions with those long bolt reels.

Newell Nut

There was a tube of grease in the boxes. Instructions were to put the reel in a bucket of fresh water after each use.  A lot of people never read instructions and a lot of people are just plain lazy.

Caranx

Hi Dwight,
FYI
I have two S646-3's bought new many years ago. They are still in box never used. I recently took one apart to put Carbontex washers in it to get it ready to fish.
I discovered one through bolt cracked/ corroded right at the threaded end. Upon inspection, it looked like an impurity in the metal. Hence low quality stainless steel.
That's the reason why I bought two tiburon kits from Randy Pauly. Just in case. 👍🏼👍🏼
No worries now. 👍🏼

Newell Nut

I wish they made the frames for other sizes in the 600s. Rich told me once he would make them if I bought 40 of them and I could not do that. I agree the material spec was wrong on those bolts. My personal ones have not failed but I have seen some nasty ones that people need fixed.

Dwight