Good Grounds

Started by foakes, March 03, 2021, 10:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Trailers, winches, planes, boats, cars & trucks — mostly use 12 Volt DC for their power systems.

Just returned last week from a trip out to the Desert for 8 days — trailer brakes were not energizing properly — showing an "open ground" code.

When we returned, I decided to check it out further.  Knowing that most issues are generally also the most common cause — I traced all of the wires that were installed by U-Haul when they installed the brake controller — all good, until I found where they had attached the control unit ground wire behind the drivers kick panel — with a rivet which had of course...loosened!!  Cut the wire, attached a crimp ring, along with a self-tapper hex screw.  Works perfectly.

Yesterday, I decided to install an in-cab switch assembly for my Warn M8000 winch.  This goes where the clock was on the 4X4 Tacoma — and consists of a two button momentary IN-OUT assembly — along with a master shielded safety toggle which activates the power to the switches, as well as an indicator LED light.

Pulled apart the dashboard, routed all wires up to the winch, wired everything up — no power to the winch.  Knowing it was likely a non-grounding issue — but not knowing which of the (4) solenoids I needed to attach grounds to — I was confused.  Finally remembered my electronics training — and the importance of solid grounds — I figured out that my winch had (5) wires coming into the control box from the remote control — instead of the more typical (3).  The (2) extra wires were a ground loop that in an emergency would disconnect power to the winch when the plug was pulled out.  I ran a direct ground from the common ground lug assembly in the middle of the solenoid array — directly to the winch motor.  Then ran another wire from the same lug and attached it to the solenoid base.  

Now I can use the winch from inside the cab while operating the vehicle easier than running the remote control through the drivers window.  And the remote control wired switch still works as before.  

A faulty or corroded ground connection (or multiple connections to ground) are usually the culprit with any of our boats, trailers, or equipment that requires 12 Volt DC to operate.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Auto electrical bugs: seems like 90% of the time, it is something simple, but if there are a dozen "simple" things that could go wrong, it's usually the 11th or 12th thing I check. Grr.

Frank

PacRat

A very wise automotive electrician one told me,"It's always the ground." Start with the ground and you fill solve your problem right away...99% of the time.

Midway Tommy

It amazes me how many people depend on the connection at the ball & hitch for a ground.  ::) I always make sure I have a hardwired ground through the connector. Then I make sure the wire & metal connections haven't corroded.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Quote from: PacRat on March 04, 2021, 02:06:41 AM
A very wise automotive electrician one told me,"It's always the ground." Start with the ground and you fill solve your problem right away...99% of the time.

This is very sound advice. No mater it be lights on the trailer, tail lights on an older truck or winch etc... Jeff

Dominick

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 05, 2021, 05:40:22 AM

This is very sound advice. No mater it be lights on the trailer, tail lights on an older truck or winch etc... Jeff

Also you have to have good grounds in a lawsuit, otherwise the suit will be dismissed as groundless.   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Dominick on March 06, 2021, 09:15:32 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on March 05, 2021, 05:40:22 AM

Also you have to have good grounds in a lawsuit, otherwise the suit will be dismissed as groundless.   :D  Dominick
What about a shread of evedence ,is that like a corroded ground wire ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

you need a good quality suit, with the correct length pants, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

happyhooker

A good quality suit will usually be a winner, in more ways than one.

Frank

David Hall

I recall during basic training in the military it was of the utmost importance to insure that personal belongings constantly remained grounded to the corner post of my bunk.  Foot lockers, boots, aluminum row boats.  All had to be in contact, ie: "GROUNDED" to the bunk.