Raw water temperature monitoring. Do You have one? Do you need one?

Started by David Hall, May 20, 2020, 05:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

A year or so ago I started looking into peripheral engine system monitoring goodies.  I wanted a package that would monitor multiple systems and interface with my MFD.  unfortunately I learned that my 2004 Yanmar 6LPA is a mechanical engine and has no electronics to tie into for such a system.  I questioned wether I really needed such a system or if it would simply satisfy my addiction to boat goodies for awhile.
I give thanks for the corona virus, without it the launch ramps would have opened on the first Saturday of April and I would have been Salmon fishing, and I also likely would have destroyed my very expensive Yanmar turbo diesel.  Instead we got the Coronavirus and the launch ramps were shut down, fishing season was postponed until May.  So I decided to get some of the little things I've been avoiding done on the boat, I found a local custom canvas shop and arranged to get a cover made so she stays clean and shiny, I pulled out my torn up helm seat and got it into a local custom shop at the harbor for re upholstery.
Then I set about draining. And changing out my coolant.  In the process I inadvertently leaned into my exhaust mixing elbow and it fell off the turbocharger outlet?  Close examination revealed it wasn't working, it was rusted up and the vanes were stuck and there is a hole in it that a small dog could crawl through, all the signs of long term sea water intrusion were evident.  Then I got to looking at the mixing elbow I replaced just 4yrs ago and discovered several internal fractures in the casting that obviously were the source of the sea water getting at the turbo.  What caused this?  I believe it was caused one day about 15 months ago, I was in a hurry to get out to the fishing grounds, last days of the season and the bite was hot.  I left the dock without opening my seacock.  A mile or so out of the harbor I noticed the engine temperature rapidly increasing, I quickly realized what I had done and opened the seacock, engine temp immediately dropped, I thought nothing more of it.  What I failed to realize was by the time the engine temperature started rising the exhaust gas temperature was already critically high, opening the seawater cock and suddenly introducing 55 degree water into a super heated exhaust mixing elbow caused a catastrophic internal failure to the elbow.  The water stayed inside but it penetrated the liner through the cracks and began to shower the exhaust port of the turbocharger with sea water.  Everything looked good from the outside so no need to investigate.  Well now I get to buy a new turbocharger, $2800.00, a new mixing elbow $475.00, a mess of gaskets nuts bolts and small hoses and misc hardware, $200.00.
I had to cancel, I mean postpone my new boat cover until an undetermined future date.  There's an outfit in Placerville ca. Called Borel, they make a sensor that senses any temperature increase and sounds an audible alarm warning of increase temperature at the exhaust water side normal should be around 150 degrees and at 180 degrees this sets off an alarm.  No drilling or anything it's goes around the exhaust hose downstream of the mixing elbow like an expensive fancy zip tie.  Cost less than $100.00 probably takes a couple hours to install and pull the wiring and set up the horn.  They make one for $65.00 that has a red flashing idiot light instead of a horn.  Either way it would have saved me all this trouble, but the good news is it didn't happen on the water, nobody was hurt, And I can do all the work myself so I am not paying labor. 
There is a lesson here and this time I'm not going to ignore it.  I'm adding this Borel sensor, I'm adding an exhaust gas temperature sensor and a turbo boost gauge. Less than $500.00 for all of them.  The ramps opened yesterday to the public and I am 10-14 days out before the boat will be ready.
Every cloud has a silver lining and time wounds all heals, and I have a lucky star watching over me.

Dominick

Good luck David.  I will take you up on your long ago invite to fish with you when an if I return to San Mateo (gas and bait payment of course).  I am undecided on how long to isolate at the cabin far away from this dangerous disease.  I am glad you are able to look at your boat problems with a calm disposition.  You're a good man David.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Dominick you got a space on the Long Hall anytime, you can even invite Wayne, (as long as he behaves).
I learned long ago that there is no use in getting all worked up over things like this and as it turns out I might very likely have lost my engine had I launched.
its always good times on my boat and getting everyone safely back to the dock at the end of the day is my number one priority. 
Rob and I will find the fish.

Gfish

Good mechanical systems story. Good learning info. for us. Please keep us updated. Possible pictures?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

El Pescador

Quote from: David Hall on May 20, 2020, 04:28:55 PM
Dominick you got a space on the Long Hall anytime, you can even invite Wayne, (as long as he behaves)...

David!!

LOVE to go Salmon fishing!!!!!   I have a custom-made Salmon rod from Dominick that needs its inaugural run.

AND I too will cover the gas, bait, and have Jennifer make us all lunches for the day.

And like the sign on Gary-the-BUTT MAN's USS Maiko, this boat doesn't run on THANKS.

Any time... Anywhere just let me know when to show up.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

David Hall

great sign Wayne, perfect when I get back on the water we can pick a date.

Pictures?  I got em!  Ill post them too.

David Hall

The top picture is an aftermarket SS wet elbow manufactured in Wa State and very high quality.  But if you overheat it by taking the water away and then dump cold water inside it, you end up with this those lines are all cracks.  And what this is, is a turbocharger eating invisible demon.  Nothing shows on the outside to warn of potential problems until it's to late, unless you simply remove it for an inspection.  I didn't since I had only just installed the part a few years ago, It was in my mind, a safe system component.
The second pic is the intake, compressor side of the turbocharger, it should be clean and shiny.  The soot extended all the way into the intercooler and the engine.
The third pic is the exhaust side, see the hole above the flange?  It extends 1/3 of the way around the flange, the heavy corrosion is the tell tale indicator of sea water intrusion.
The vanes only turn under pressure from a socket wrench now, they should spin freely with nothing more than my fingers.  Totally loss.

David Hall

Can't see the hole in the turbo in that pic but you can in this one.

boon

The front half of the turbo is probably fine, you might be able to save a wad of cash by just replacing the turbine housing?

David Hall

Compressor side.  Wasted.  Yanmar lists the exhaust side housing at $1989.00 just for the housing, I'm pretty sure the shaft bearings and seals would likely need replacing also, by the time I piece it all back together it would cost the same or more than the brand new one.

Maxed Out

David!!

AND I too will cover the gas, and this boat doesn't run on THANKS.

Wayne
[/quote]

Wayne, you're too kind. Only thing I can say is David might not like it if you put gas in his diesel engines !!  :D  :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Exactly Ted, NO gas in the Diesel engine.  Here's the other crazy thing, last year the boat seemed like it was overloaded, I figured I had added to much gear, so I re propped the drive, dropping 2" pitch from 22"-20" Now it appears my turbo wasn't working during that whole endeavor so????  What do you suppose is going to happen with the new turbo on there spooling up?   I'm guessing I will find myself underpropoed and hitting WOT RPM a bit early.  I did keep my old props so I can swap back if needed. Check out the new turbo.  This one is OEM but made and distributed here in America through a joint venture between IHI and an American firm.  There's a Chinese version that sells for 1/3 the price but this is the real thing made by the original equipment provider.  

boon

Quote from: David Hall on May 21, 2020, 02:28:56 AM
Compressor side.  Wasted.  Yanmar lists the exhaust side housing at $1989.00 just for the housing, I'm pretty sure the shaft bearings and seals would likely need replacing also, by the time I piece it all back together it would cost the same or more than the brand new one.

WOW, nearly 2 grand for the turbine housing... must be all the water jacketing and that business. Over in performance car land (ugh, another money pit) $500 is a lot to spend on a turbine housing.

Mind you, I feel like it's still got a fair bit of the "Marine = 150% cost" thing going on.

David Hall

No doubt the " Marine Part" is in play, plus there is an additional "Yanmar part" thing adding even more to the cost.  A good example is.  Yanmar is a division of Toyota, they built a 6 cylinder diesel powered  land cruiser.  The engine was designated HG1 or something like that.  Short story is, this light truck engine was "Marinized" by Toyota's Yanmar marine division and sold as the 6LP 315hp turbo diesel.  It is the engine that is installed in my boat.
All parts for this motor, except the marine coolers, are made by Toyota and branded and sold by Yanmar.
Oil filter $19.00 Toyota PN, $68.00 Yanmar PN
Timing set, belt and tensioner Toyota PN $89.00. Yanmar PN $254.00
Fuel filter Toyota $34.00. Yanmar $80.00
Turbocharger Toyota IHI. $2500. Yanmar $4000
Mixing elbow Aftermarket $400. Yanmar $900
All these parts are made by the same companies.  I tried to use the Toyota PN to order my timing set.  They emailed me back asking for the VIN on the vehicle this was to be used on.  I responded that it doesn't matter what a I do with it.  They emailed me back sayiing my order has been cancelled.  I was stuck and had to order the Yanmar Parts, which arrived and all packaged in Toyota labeled plastic packs.
So yes absolutely they get you coming and going.

Gfish

Interesting. Wonder what's up with that. Some kinda warranty(marine vessel vs passenger vehicle)deal? A straight-up rip off? Always thought Toyota was one of the better ones.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!