Raw water temperature monitoring. Do You have one? Do you need one?

Started by David Hall, May 20, 2020, 05:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

That makes sense that any part needs to withstand the maximum operating temp of the engine.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

oldmanjoe

Here is what more likely happened .      Sea cock is closed  , there is still water in the pump housing . Pump spinning , the suction side of the pump is max out .
That puts the rubber in hard contact with housing .  The water that was in the housing is now thrown out and what little stayed is now at boiling point .
Something has to give , most of   the times the rubber vane break off , sometimes the hub breaks bond and spins .   Very much like a boat prop break bond with hub , you go slow you will go a little , throttle up and instance slip too much load .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

David Hall

That is very likely exactly what happened, nothing ever got severely overheated because in addition to drawing water from the seacock, the system also draws water through the sterndrive.  That is how the pump is kept wet enough for the engine to be idled on dry land at speeds never to exceed 1300RPM. 
  Bit enough of the problem check out the new improvements done this past week.

David Hall

I found a deal substantially below market by $600.00 less than anywhere else.  The seller owns and operates a security systems design and installation company.  they had a Flir M232 left over from a recent project and offered it up BNIB never opened all original with full factory warranty for a price I could not resist and I couldn't help myself I had to pull the trigger, I can always live to regret it at a later date. For now Ill just enjoy it.  I had to update the O.S. on my Raymarine gs to make it compatible but that was fairly straightforward. linked it to my verizon Wifi hotspot and downloaded the new software version right to the MFD.  I hate doing that as it seems there is always some piece of equipment that doesnt like the new version and ends up creating more problems than it fixes so I tend to stick with the tried ad true versions.  This time I had to update in order to get the camera to work, the great news is I am able to pan and tilt and zoom the camera from my existing, (yet already out dated) RMK9 remote keypad.  My next update is going to be a new sonar, the Airmar R199 I have was the top o the line in its day but sonar has made incredible leaps in technology in the past 5yrs and the new imaging and CE programming software is pretty incredible. for example say I run over a bait ball I have to set a waypoint at the time I am on it.  new tech would allow me to scroll back through my sonar history, find the bait ball I passed 30 minutes ago and place a waypoint on it.  it will mean another update on the software side to be compatible.  by the tie I am done it will all be outdated and no longer supported.

Gobi King

I found the night pic from the  Airmar R199 unit here after I replied to your other post.

Nice, I need one now, I mean I want one, time to sell some blood!

Sonar - Look at Garmin units and side sonar, they are good value and cost 1/2 or less than comparable Hummingbird or other fufu brands.

You can have a TTH transducer for high speed and an external one for side sonar etc. They even have a forward looking sonar for those giant bait ball ahead of ya. I wonder what a 200  YFT will look like on the forward looking sonar  ;D

yes, WIFI update is the way to go,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

David Hall

Rivverrat

David, good to see pic of your boat. Guess we are kind of different. I love the old Yanmars that had yet to be cluttered with electrical, decision making stuff.  The newer stuff is by far, more efficient... Jeff

David Hall

my engine is entirely mechanical, there is no computer, no monitoring other than sensors and idiot lights.  that is why I can work on it myself.  its a great motor with many thousands of hours left in it all i have to do is maintain it.

Cuttyhunker

Dave,
I see you have a diesel outdrive setup as does a pal of mine having refitted a straight 6 Merc Conversion to a 26 Blackwatch.  He fishes hard and is at about the 5000 hour mark, but there is a little aftermarket gizmo he's fitted to the leg he swears by.  It is a totally passive water scoop that when under way at speed automatically bathes the now dry and exposed top half of the leg with cool sea water.  When I get back to Mass next month I'd be happy to send along a few pics if he hasn't launched yet.
Back on the first page the was an exchange about getting paid for gas etc. from guests.  Dad was a 6 pack guy for years, and was of the opinion, probably correct, that if reimbursement is pre negotiated prior to a trip the USCG may consider you a "For Hire" vessel, subject to the liabilities, licensing, and responsibilities thereof. Dropping a C-note on the owner to "But the wife a nice dinner" afterwards  may be different.  I've never researched it as the folks I take are are my guests, and although pricey fuel I have found is one of the least costly line items of owning a boat.   
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

Thinking about the "marine markup" on parts, salvage yards have become quite sophisticated.  A pal that owns a Toyota store feels they're better than the new product warehouses on delivery, getting him stuff in in usually a few days.  LKQ is a big player and probably won't be so worried about your serial number.  A possible option if you know the cross ref's and are out of warrantee.  Maybe a Toyota guy, or real parts store will be happy to sell you recycled truck parts.
Doomed from childhood