Electrician in the house?

Started by Gobi King, May 20, 2020, 02:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on May 20, 2020, 09:13:50 PM
The cabin was built in 1973 so it is an older structure with the original wiring.

The original part of our house was built in the late 30's and had un-insolated wire on ceramic posts and screw in fuses.  I upgraded the system in the late 70's.  I would like to replace the breaker box and add a few circuits but it is a low priority job.  The barn was built I 2001, it and the irrigation pump are on a separate meter.    The barn has 2 100a 240v circuits for my welder and compressor, 4 inside light circuits, 2 out side light circuits and every outlet is on it's own circuit, a 30a and a 50a 240v and 6 20a 120v outlets.  I had and used 12, 10 and 8 gage wire and all in ridged conduit.  I had the wire and the time to over kill the barn wiring.  The chicken coup on the other hand looks like a idiot wired it and I really should do it right.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Scariest scenario there is in house electricity. I would have to consider the whole circuit's ground suspect until I verified that I was protected. How did you test the fan? Is it possible that you applied power to the leads in a way that would not show a dead short? In my experience, mostly in the marine industry but with considerable residential experience also, I would have to conclude that the hood is shorting when you apply installed power but not with your test power. It is possible that you bought a bad switch, but it is rare enough to doubt.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Tested the switch.  No conductivity with the switch off.  Conductivity with the switch on.   ???  Fan still does not work.  Time to buy a new hood.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

RowdyW

Quote from: Keta on May 20, 2020, 10:34:55 PM
The cabin was built in 1973 so it is an older structure with the original wiring.

The chicken coup on the other hand looks like a idiot wired it and I really should do it right.

You might wake up one morning to fried chicken.  :D :D            Rudy

Midway Tommy

Quote from: RowdyW on May 21, 2020, 12:41:56 AM
Quote from: Keta on May 20, 2020, 10:34:55 PM

The chicken coup on the other hand looks like a idiot wired it and I really should do it right.

You might wake up one morning to fried chicken.  :D :D            Rudy

Clap, Clap, Clap....Bow, Bow, Bow!  ;D ;D ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Dominick, you probably fried the motor with the dead short.  Motors are cheap to replace.  The hard part is usually getting the fan blade off the motor shaft.

Breakers do go bad.  It can look like it is set but dose not have conductivity between one side and the other.  You can turn off the main and tighten the lug on the breaker.  That is often the problem.  Then check conductivity with the breaker on and breaker off.  If the breaker is bad you can pop it out and take it to the store to find a replacement.

A volt-ohm meter (VOM) can turn anyone into an electrician.  The volt meter will tell you if it has power or is safe to touch.  The ohm meter will tell you if there is conductivity.  I like the VOM to have a buzzer that goes off when there is conductivity between the two leads.  That way, you can concentrate on where you are putting the leads instead of watching the meter.

-steve

Dominick

Steve thanks for that.  That is the strange thing about this project.  I have continuity through the entire wiring.  From the line in through the motor on the fan yet it does not work.  Putting power directly to the fan motor spins that sucker like it was brand new.  This has reached the end of my knowledge of electricity.  Thank God for Amazon.  I ordered a new hood to be delivered in 2 days (tomorrow).  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Shibley, sorry to step on your thread how are you doing with your electric problem?  Dominick

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on May 21, 2020, 04:07:05 PM
Steve thanks for that.  That is the strange thing about this project.  I have continuity through the entire wiring.  From the line in through the motor on the fan yet it does not work.  Putting power directly to the fan motor spins that sucker like it was brand new.  This has reached the end of my knowledge of electricity.  Thank God for Amazon.  I ordered a new hood to be delivered in 2 days (tomorrow).  Dominick

Smart move, Counselor -- the old hood is best repaired by tossing it in the trash.  Any time an electric motor has issues -- or a light has issues -- that has 120V wired into it -- yes, it can be fixed -- but at what cost considering safety?  Got to remember -- this is an electric motor that has been turned on and off perhaps 100,000 times since 1973.  Plus, it has been impacted by fumes, greases, and time.

Hope you were able to match the original avocado green from the 70's!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Dominick,

No worries, discuss away, we all benefit from the knowledge :-),

You can check the motor for continuity? They are pretty modular, if it is the motor or the switch that bad for the hood.

I lost my reply I was writing late last night, arrragh,

Lol, with the covid stay at home order, I am focusing on much needed repairs around the house!

The house was built in 1957, and the electrical was upgraded 17 years back.
The outlet in question is in the garage and NOT a GFCI outlet, I followed the wires from behind the wall where I have a small shop room with open ceiling and it seems the wires go to a junction box.

Yes, I did flip (and flipped more finger at the box) all the breaker switches on the panel except for the big azz 50 amp a/c (dual combo) one.

Fred, great suggestion, I am will upgrade all the outlets to GFCI in the garage. Yes, I have one of those plug in tester.

I have a no touch voltage sensor, I will take the cover off and check the wires and confirm I have voltage in the wires.

Side Note: I have tasted 220v in Asia, now that will wake u up and leave some marks on your skin, ask how I know.

Lee/Tommy/Bill, that is the mystery, I can't figure out which breaker it is tied to, I have a sounder. I will use it after I confirm I have power. The panel is a HOT mess I think, the breaker are labelled but not logical. Yes, it was done by lic electrician.

Sal, 15 A outlet and it is  20 ft from the panel, I will check the wire gauge.

Did someone say Fried Chickin? I need to make a popeyes run!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: foakes on May 21, 2020, 04:22:04 PM
Quote from: Dominick on May 21, 2020, 04:07:05 PM

Smart move, Counselor -- the old hood is best repaired by tossing it in the trash.  Any time an electric motor has issues -- or a light has issues -- that has 120V wired into it -- yes, it can be fixed -- but at what cost considering safety?  Got to remember -- this is an electric motor that has been turned on and off perhaps 100,000 times since 1973.  Plus, it has been impacted by fumes, greases, and time.

Hope you were able to match the original avocado green from the 70's!

Best,

Fred

Come on, we at AT'ers, we can revive a PENN which barely has one good screw and spool ;-)
Now the avocado green, hmm, that might be the show stopper,
I say time for a kitchen remodel!  ;D
Fichigan

Gobi King

No is coming the outlet, I followed the line back to a junction box,  in the pic the RED (YES) has power and BLACK (NO) has not power.
The junction box is a hot mess, look at all the tape, does it look like the insulation in the wire overheated?

I am going to turn off power to the junction box and seperate the wires and first figure out what they were trying to achieve, looks like they spliced in additional wire too, like a few inches,

FYI: This looks like was done by the flipper who flipped this house and probably the lic electrician who upgraded the wiring.

Fichigan

Midway Tommy

Looks a little scary  :o to me. I'm assuming you mean the line is hot to the junction box but dead from the junction box to the outlet. Once you disconnect the power first pull on the individual wires going into each the wire nuts. A wire connection in one of the wire nuts may be the culprit.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

If you call a licensed electrician right now -- you won't need to call the Fire Department later.

It is just Amateur Hour trying to diagnose electrical issues on the internet with wiring that has been done like that.

Too many dangerous variables.

Best of luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on May 22, 2020, 06:15:32 PM
If you call a licensed electrician right now -- you won't need to call the Fire Department later.

It is just Amateur Hour trying to diagnose electrical issues on the internet with wiring that has been done like that.

Too many dangerous variables.

Best of luck,

Fred

That is very true, Fred! I thought it was pretty obvious, though, after seeing what's there. Wires stripped too far back, insulation nicked, too many wires in the box, etc.  ::) That was clearly a hack job and is a disaster just waiting to happen.   :(

Tommy D (ORCA), NE