Electrician in the house?

Started by Gobi King, May 20, 2020, 02:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

yeap, I hear you, I am going to call an electrician but first I will call the city and log a formal complaint, I think the guy who flipped the house 20 years back did this hack job.

I am not sure why I have 2 more of these junction boxes, in a room that is 7x14,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 22, 2020, 07:00:08 PM
Quote from: foakes on May 22, 2020, 06:15:32 PM
If you call a licensed electrician right now -- you won't need to call the Fire Department later.

It is just Amateur Hour trying to diagnose electrical issues on the internet with wiring that has been done like that.

Too many dangerous variables.

Best of luck,

Fred

That is very true, Fred! I thought it was pretty obvious, though, after seeing what's there. Wires stripped too far back, insulation nicked, too many wires in the box, etc.  ::) That was clearly a hack job and is a disaster just waiting to happen.   :(

Right, Tommy -- I learned how to wire from a Journeyman Electrician.  I thought before that that I knew everything that was needed when it came to residential and commercial wiring.  Boy, was I wrong!  After working with Rich -- I noticed some things...

The wires were always stripped back just right so that they could be twisted together with a pair of linesman pliers -- not my fingers.  There was never any bare copper showing.  The proper size wire nut was used.  And finally, each wire nut got another 1/8th turn to tighten with the linesman pliers.  All boxes were grounded back to the main box.  And when each circuit was energized -- each receptacle was tested with a tester.  And there was always enough wire loop for a replacement or upgrade down the road -- but never too many wires in one box -- just what was needed.

Rich always said -- AC is easy...it either works, or it doesn't.  But respect and care for both now and the future is key.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: Gobi King on May 22, 2020, 07:17:36 PM
yeap, I hear you, I am going to call an electrician but first I will call the city and log a formal complaint, I think the guy who flipped the house 20 years back did this hack job.

I am not sure why I have 2 more of these junction boxes, in a room that is 7x14,

Yeah, I am sure the City Inspection Department will get right on that...😂😂😂

And what will that accomplish after 20 years, anyway?  No proof who did the hack job.  For all they know, it could have been you or any one else.

Good move on just getting it professionally addressed and corrected properly.

You are in charge of your own and your family's safety -- no one else.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Fred!

Agreed!!!

Time to call...     SPARKY - local journeyman electrician at   800- NO SHOCK ;D

Good luck,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gobi King on May 22, 2020, 07:17:36 PM

You might open a can of rattlesnakes if you go that route. The city could care less about something done 20 years ago but they sure do like an excuse to get inside.  ;) Just have a reputable licensed electrician come out, have him check out all the wiring, take a deep breath and then open your checkbook.  :o If he's reputable he'll make sure any required permits and/or inspections are taken care of. No matter what, though, get the bad stuff fixed right away! 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

??? Do you have a switch in line with that outlet  I see  red wire and i see black and white wire tyed together ! 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

PacRat

I would ask the electrician to install a larger junction box while he's got it apart (he'll likely suggest it anyway). That box looks really crowded which is asking for trouble.
Good luck.

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 22, 2020, 09:35:32 PM
You might open a can of rattlesnakes if you go that route. The city could care less about something done 20 years ago but they sure do like an excuse to get inside.  ;) Just have a reputable licensed electrician come out, have him check out all the wiring, take a deep breath and then open your checkbook.  :o If he's reputable he'll make sure any required permits and/or inspections are taken care of. No matter what, though, get the bad stuff fixed right away! 

Tom is right about that.  I have had a couple run ins with inspectors; the last being a SoCal Edison guy when I had my 1950's panel professionally swapped out and replaced. - john

Gobi King

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 22, 2020, 09:52:09 PM
??? Do you have a switch in line with that outlet  I see  red wire and i see black and white wire tyed together !  

Not on that line but the other one, it has a switch for the outlet high on the wall and lights above the counter.

[Larger junction box]
Yes Sir, I will have wiring straighten out, probably rewired to clean it up a little.

[Talking to the city]
Legend has it that the last guy who did shoddy wiring on a house they flipped in my little town where the city employees have the most laid back jobs east of the Mississippi was sent to the gulag.
He was seen on the facebook livefeed from the gulag chopping firewood for the Russian winters  ;D

In all seriousness, I know the couple who flipped my house 20 years, what is concerning is that they are still at it, they flip house in my little town.
The guy who owned it after the flipper, he is a retired professor and he bought it for his D who got divorced, He had all the work done by Lic contractors and provided me receipts.

What can the city do? I dunno, but I will ask them. FYI the city knows this couple well too, they have had a few complaints already.

I will definitely have  a lic electrician look at the wiring.

I had some work done few years back, I paid $1300 for the wiring for some can lights in my basement.
Look at the outlet tester Fred mentioned on this outlet, The lights indicate a reversed hot/neu.
Unfortunately in West MI, one has to do a little bit work to hire a reputable contractor. And some will not even work on little stuff like this. They don't even return your phone call.

Lee, you mentioned testing outlets after the jobs is done, surely no testing was done here.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan