D.A.M. Quick Champion 700b baitcasting reel

Started by mark Hill, May 20, 2020, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlrider

Would it be ok to revive this thread for my recent exploits regarding this reel?

I got a pair of reels yesterday, but each were incomplete.  The idea was to put one good reel together.  Turned out that almost worked out.  But here goes:

One was mostly there and basically functioning, but had a few incomplete.  The body of the one that appears to be a parts junkyard (without the handle) was actually slightly better than the other.

The working reel had some sort of black grease, making me think it was some sort of graphite grease (?).  The better body and gears where thankfully cleaner.

Basically I moved the centrifugal weights, anti-reverse latch and free-spool cog from the other reel.  Lubed with grease and oil.

I put a new handle on (I had it on hand [punny, huh?]) because the handle I have is bent slightly and the knob pin is loose in the handle.  I didn't want to mix up some JB Weld in the house (fumes, and too cold outside) so that may wait.  While cleaning the anti-reverse gear follower thing (looks like made of copper) it broke -- seems age made it very brittle.

The drag spring appears to be the same as in the D.A.M Quick 331N (my experience) spool knob.  I wonder...

I think the lever/knob on the handle-side faceplate is to prevent the free-spool button.  Is that what this is for?

I also could not find when this would have been made.  The reel looks different slightly than the schematics, perhaps newer.

dlrider

I don't have line on it but from other research this reel has about 20~21 inch-per-turn retrieve, and I think my calculation puts it roughly 18 inch.  The sticker on the sideplates both say high-speed (so that would be 4.7 ratio?).

foakes

Quote from: dlrider on February 10, 2021, 12:11:54 AM
I don't have line on it but from other research this reel has about 20~21 inch-per-turn retrieve, and I think my calculation puts it roughly 18 inch.  The sticker on the sideplates both say high-speed (so that would be 4.7 ratio?).

Yes, you are right on —

Retrieve is 20.87 inches per crank, high speed gears in this reel put the ratio at 1:4.6.

Your 700B has ball bearings — the 700 has slide (bushings) bearings & a gear ratio of 1:3.5.

Great job!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jigmaster501

Do these reels have steel gears???

Can they be used for braid, say 20lb test braid???

Eugene

Wompus Cat

The Button on the side is for the Flipping Option
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Quote from: jigmaster501 on February 10, 2021, 01:13:43 AM
Do these reels have steel gears???

Can they be used for braid, say 20lb test braid???

Eugene

Hi Eugene —

Main is steel, Pinion is brass — with dissimilar metals, the gears are less noisy — and the cheaper gear wears out first (I have never yet seen either one worn out, although I have parts if they ever do).

Braid works good on these — 20 lb. is a good range when using braid on these.  Tape the spool arbor and secure the line — so the braid won't slip.  I use flex-wrap — or in a pinch, the same tape I use on my Racquetball handle grips.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

dlrider

Quote from: foakes on February 10, 2021, 01:03:45 AM

Great job!

Best, Fred

Thanks!   I don't recall ever having two reels disassembled at once but this was the best way to find what parts were available.

mark Hill

I'm glad to see the revival of this thread! The Champions are very smooth running casting reels. They're your typical vintage (slow and heavy) casting reels...but they're basically trouble free and built to last. Remember back in the day when we overbuilt things so we could pass them down to the next generation of fishermen?  I have around 90% of all the reels that I ever bought in my life (hoarder! lol) and I will say that the old round style ABU's, Diawa's, and Shakespeare Sigma 0001's were definitely built like tractors! I do appreciate my modern high speed Shimano's, Daiwa's, Lews etc. but they require much more care...AND the finish wears off the newer reels so fast compared to the old metal anodized and painted round reels.
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

dlrider

Do you know where I can find more info on those Sigmas?  Relating to the sizes of the different models.

dlrider

So I got to fooling with "fixing" the anti-reverse for a few days.  I first tried soldering the copper follower pieces onto the dog but I couldn't get a bond onto the stainless steel.  I found that there is not much tolerance between the ratchet cog (I didn't look up the correct part name, but its the jagged round piece) and the main gear, just a thin fiberglass/plastic washer between.  So I decided after butchering the one piece of the follower that the remaining piece would have to do in that small tight space.  I superglued (cyanoacrylate) that to the dog and let it harden for a day.  It fits in-between nicely and the anti-reverse feature works again.  I doubt it will last but so far so good -- I'll keep an eye out for the real part.

foakes

Hi David —

Went out this morning through the snow — to the outer shop — where I keep some of the less used parts.

I glassed in and sealed off this little room so that it would not get dusty or mixed up with the metal, wood, or painting areas of the other adjacent shops.

This is where some of the parts are stored that are not used too much — organized them last year into individual part numbers.

If you want a new ratchet pawl (A/R dog) & copper wearing part — just let me know, and I will send them to you at N/C.

Will need to know by tomorrow if you want these — because we are pulling out early Monday for a week at the Coast.

I can drop them off at a Post Office on the way over to San Simeon.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

dlrider

OMG Fred!  You live in paradise.  Nice set up there.  Yes, please, if you don't mind, I'd appreciate the part.  Thank you very much.  (good thing I was still here)

foakes

On the way, David —

Are you still in Manassas, VA?

You might just PM me your complete mailing information.

Best, Fred

(Just looked up your address — all done, no issues)

--------

Fred O.

dlrider

Went out back to practice cast today. Basically it wouldn't backlash but not quite as far as my Ambassadeur Mag reel, which did backlash.   Does anyone use without the spool weights?

PacRat

Hey Fred,
I picked one of these up at the rod and gun club swap-meet. It's in very good condition but the oil and grease are like glue. The oil was actually the worst and it seemed to polymerize into plastic. I used the ultra-sound and got it very clean but I'm struggling with the cross-worm assembly. Is there a secret procedure for reassembling this? I seem to be struggling with the 'D' shaped hole and nylon bushing. I'm assuming the notched end of the guide tube goes in the shaped hole but the bushing must go in first to clear the flat side of the hole? When I do the guide tube first, I can't get the bushing in, and if I put the bushing in first, I cant get the guide tube to nest into the 'D' shaped hole. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
-Mike