Wooden Handles

Started by Cuttyhunker, May 21, 2020, 12:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

Usage wear is part of the history of the reel in regards to wooden knobs. I guess heavy metal corrosion and from lack of maintenance and abuse damage is, too, but the wear on the knob is considered "honest" wear.  "Honest wear" is a term is see often in regards to all sorts of things vintage.

I think it would've been interesting if Penn had made a percentage of their conventionals with un-plated brass parts.  Aged brass develops some nice patinas and I'm assuming the external corrosion problem would be reduced considerably. In that case the issue might be whether to polish or not, but even if you did, a patina would eventually develop again.

oc1

Quote from: wfjord on May 22, 2020, 08:31:19 PM
I think it would've been interesting if Penn had made a percentage of their conventionals with un-plated brass parts.  Aged brass develops some nice patinas and I'm assuming the external corrosion problem would be reduced considerably. In that case the issue might be whether to polish or not, but even if you did, a patina would eventually develop again.
Sometimes you will see a reel come by at the auction where someone has removed all the plating and left everything raw brass.  Not to be confused with the older reels that were made unplated.  Doesn't look half-bad if you're willing to keep up with it.
-steve