Tell me about this one

Started by Crow, May 16, 2020, 07:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Just got this handed to me, today. It had belonged to my Great Uncle....who's been gone a long time....and I'm guessing it's mid 50's vintage, but....I don't really know.  "Uncle John" had worked ....when he was able to work...at a toy factory, and everything he owned , he made a "wooden box" for...so, I got the box, too ::). He was quite the old dude....the old guy had been gassed, in WWI, and ...despite not hardly being able to breathe...smoked like a chimney ???. Never married, and took turns living with either one of his siblings, or, one of his nieces or nephews . He'd make such a pest of himself, nobody could put up with him, for long, and after a month, or 6 weeks, he's be on to the next relative ! I learned several things from him, when it was our turn to "host".....and all of them were things my parents didn't WANT me to learn ! Anyway, any info about the reel would be appreciated !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tiddlerbasher

I'm presuming this is an automatic fly reel and made -(sold) by South Bend ??
Google will be your friend ;)

wfjord

That's maybe a South Bend model 1125 or 1126?  It looks old and cool in the unpainted metal and an interesting addition for your collection shelf.  It might be interesting to try it out, but I'd venture to say it's not a reel you'd enjoy fishing with for very long.  I'll bet there are some classic fiberglass rod guys out there who would certainly put it to use.

Crow

1126, I've never owned...or used an "automatic" reel before, all I have are just "single actions". Seems to be a pretty heavy reel....way heavier than any of my rods will balance with. I'll see if I can scare up an old rod, long / heavy enough to at least fish it a couple times.  Maybe a "yard sale special", IF they start having yard sales, again ???. I see the Goodwill stores in Iowa (were about 25 miles from one, just across the river), so maybe Illinois will be starting, too.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Shakespeare made South Bend Oreno-Matic fly reels.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)