Pflueger Supreme 1878

Started by Sharkb8, May 26, 2020, 12:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkb8

I got this pflueger supreme fly reel the other day  looks as good as new, going to put #8 fly line on it for salt water fly fishing not shore what type of line floating or sinking?dose anyone saltwater flyfish and what do you use . I all ready have a  set-up whith floating line on it

Kim

Donnyboat

Looks nice Kim, are you going to service it, before you use it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

wfjord

Kim,
I have the exact same Pflueger Supreme reel in a 5/6 size (1856) that I like and have only used in freshwater for SM & LM bass.  Virtually all my fishing is in freshwater now.

I haven't fly fished in saltwater in a long time, but when I did I was mostly using Cortland 444 Peach Rocket taper 7 & 8 WF floating lines on the flats, and an SA 8wt line that I don't remember the model.  Also have an old 9wt sinking head line of which I don't remember the make.  Lot's of new lines have come out since then, so maybe someone else will chime in.

On that reel I'd also probably consider a 7wt line as it will still cast a bulky or heavy fly or streamer and also allow room for more backing on the reel, but an 8wt might cut through heavier wind a little better.  I saw a spare spool for that reel on the 'bay.  Type of line also depends on how deep you want to get it down.  With a floating line, usually a fluoro leader gets me deep enough at least in the rivers and most lakes.  A weight forward line will allow for more backing.

Sharkb8

Don I will give it a service before using the reel. Wfjord so far most of the fishing I have done has been in shallow water for samontrout (small Australia samon) but I would like to fish for snook in a bit deeper water around 20ft so maybe I will go for floating line ,I might look into the  weight forward. Thanks for the info.

Kim

wfjord

If you'll be fishing 20' you might want to consider a sink tip line.  The Cortland 444 classic peach has been around a long time and still an excellent all around floating line in. Cortland also has a 444 Saltwater Classic Series with various sinking & floating lines.  My very first fly line was a classic 444 peach WF-7-F for inshore saltwater back in the early '80s and I still have it and use it.  I'm not so fond of Cortland's 444SL line.

For water up to 10' or so, the fluoro leader with a weighted streamer is all I need.  The end of the my floating fly line taper tends to sink a bit, too, thanks to my neglect in cleaning it often and not applying floatant.

jurelometer

Thanks for posting the reel (and schematic) Kim!

If you get a chance, it would be great if you could post a photo of the reel with the spool out, so we can get a glimpse at the guts.

With these type of reels of this age,  the first thing you want to look at is capacity.   There should be something on the box or in the manual that states the backing capacity with a 8WF floating line.  If the capacity is at/above 200 yards of 20 lb dacron, it is sized right for an eight weight line.  If you also post the weight and spool diameter, we might be able to give you a better idea of the line it is suited for.

The way that these design of reels blow up on saltwater fish:

1. Release of quick release spools at high rpm  :o.  Any freeplay causes the quick release to get bounced around, and the spool can come flying right out.  For your reel is probably worthwhile to ensure that the spring holding the quick release is strong, and consider replacing it if it is weak. Often the spool will wobble/vibrate a bit more with a light drag setting, so don't back off the drag too much!

2.  Anti-reverse mechanism gets blown out from a combination of vibration, RPMs, and/or too high a drag setting.  Not sure what can be done here without seeing the guts.   Best bet might be to go easy on the drag and use the palming rim instead.   Some folks prefer to fight the fish this ways anyways.

If you are just starting out fly fishing, and the reel is reversible,  set the retrieve for your dominant hand.   The knob won't catch the shooting line when you are casting, you only need to switch hands when you hook a fish, and the winding hand is the first to go when you hook a big fish.   Probably won't matter too much with a reel this size, but might as well start with good habits in case you get hooked of fly fishing.

If the reel is a bit small, and there is not a lot of room for backing- no reason not to take it out and have some fun.   Just don't put a fly line that you cherish on it, and load it up with as much 30-50 lb spectra as you can.   If the worst happens, it turns into a good story for the pub :)

I think I will make a separate saltwater fly lines 101 post that might be worth taking a look at.  But the line has to be a WF.  If you are a decent caster, get an intermediate, if starting out, then get a floater.  If you are proficient with a double haul, than a integrated sinking line (fast sinking head with a intermediate (preferred) or floating running line is not a bad line to grab, but it has to be matched more closely with the rod.   Floatant additives are not really used in saltwater nowadays,  so no need to  worry about that stuff.

The line needs to be matched with the rod - and often the fly line number/rod number matching is not enough for a specific combo for a specific angler.  So no reason to shell out top dollar if you are just starting out.  Just pick out a WF line rated for your rod number and water temps (when in doubt ,use warm water).  I wouldn't worry too much about specific brands or models at this point.

Hope this helps,

-J

Sharkb8

Here are some pictures of the inside of of the reel it will be used on a #8 fly rod

Kim