Penn 116a sharkin upgrades?

Started by Flsharker, May 22, 2020, 03:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flsharker

I recently got a penn senator 10/0 which I want to use for land based shark fishing. I was wondering what I could do to make it better suited for this role. I'd like to increase the drag, I know there is a drag insert but I can't seem to find one. I know that increasing the drag would need the stainless dog and gear sleeve. I'd appreciate any input y'all have.

oc1

Consider having a strong person or small car try to pull you off your feet with the line when the drag is buttoned down.  Hold the rod up like you're fishing a fish.  You might find that you need a smoother drag, but not necessarily a stronger drag.
-steve

Shark Hunter

Basic 5 Stack Carbon Fiber upgrade and stainless sleeve is all you need.
Buttoned down, that is 30 pounds. That is enough to bring in some big ones.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Hello Fisharker.
The 116A is one of my favorite.
Inserts from motive fabrications are nice and I believe it is an excellent upgrade for drags, but I only like them up to the 9/0.

I want to add that if you do have the thick 5 washers, you will need to replace them.
Here is the set I recommend, it should reel anything in:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-116SP.aspx
As Shark Hunter has mentioned, a stainless steel sleeve is a good choice, along with a better handle.
Another thing I would do is to install a second dog.
Shark Hunter could probably get that done for you, unless he's busy.
Of course you could probably do it yourself as well, there are some tutorials by tge Senator section that should help.
Good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Flsharker

I was hoping to increase drag to reduce fight times with sharks to improve their survival rate. Also maybe because I want revenge on whatever almost spooled me on my 9/0 last time. The asbestos washers give me 30 pounds right now, which I handle pretty easy.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Flsharker on May 22, 2020, 04:24:04 PM
I was hoping to increase drag to reduce fight times with sharks to improve their survival rate. Also maybe because I want revenge on whatever almost spooled me on my 9/0 last time. The asbestos washers give me 30 pounds right now, which I handle pretty easy.
You are increasing it if you go with the kit I've recommended.
You are going from 5 washers to 7 washers, this will give you more drag and smoothness.
The thick washers you have now toss them.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Flsharker

Alright sounds like I'm getting a new drag stack and gear sleeve, what's the advantage of double dogging? Sorry for all the questions, thanks y'all.