Albacore Special 540

Started by Rancanfish, May 22, 2020, 04:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Anybody know which direction the spool shaft pin is supposed to move?  I suspect the spool bearing is toast as I hear a little squeal. 

I tried pushing both ways and.....no movement.  If I bugger that pin, are there replacements available?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

It doesn't matter which way the pin goes. It flanges in the middle a little.

If you bugger one up, like I have in the past due to corrosion, I had to make one from a ss welding rod by cutting a portion, putting it in a drill press and filing down the diameter until it's just right.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Bryan Young

Did you get the pin out?  I have pin pliers if you want to borrow it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Sorry didn't see this Bry.  No, I futzed with it a bit and then parked it.  I'll buzz ya when I get back to it.

I took on what I hope is my last work project before official retirement.  It is kicking my behind.  Let's just say the original installer used unique wiring methods.  Two days work and I've only got 3 fixtures installed while troubleshooting this mess.

Rancanfish

Well I finally closed this up. Drove the pin out with my brass hammer and nail set (can't remember proper name).  I had ordered two of the spool bearings from BOCA.  I lubed up the new bearing w / Tsi 321 and put it back together.  Quiet again, and decent free spool,  Yay!

Next decided to check all my Alby Specials for smoothness.  Other 540 - check,  AS 280 - check, remaining AS 280 and discovered it wouldn't go into gear.  So pulled the side plate screws out.  Removed complete gear side plate and happened to notice interior screws were loose.  Fixed.

Just wanted to get this in the archives,  If you have problems with PG Alby Specials not going in gear, check the internal screws holding the plate and bridge together.  Everything gets out of kilter and won't shift if they are loose.  My own fault, probably got in a hurry.