Octopus Jig Head Mold Making at Dave's - Dec. 2018

Started by El Pescador, May 23, 2020, 01:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

When HIS BUTTness was down here in the Bay Area, we kept Gary busy for sure!!!

First a full COLD day of Rockfish and Lingcod fishing:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26270.msg311572#msg311572

We Tried to tell Gary the bait IS for fishing, BUTT....

And Jennifer and I entertained Gary for the weekend, we do all we can for HIS BUTTness!!!!

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26270.msg311522#msg311522

BUTT on Sunday, Gary arranged with Dave (jurelometer) to meet at his home and learn how he makes his own Octopus Jig Head molds, so off we go...

Once at Dave's home, it was a SOLID hour or two of just HIS BUTTness and Dave talking and talking, me I just hung around and took photos, so please enjoy and I'll let Dave and Gary explain this process.

Gary looking at Dave's current work projects.

Dave is a thinking guy, he had TWO workbenches, one for the REEL work to be done, and this one, with just a laptop computer on it for his project calculations.

Dave's work area!!!

Gary's work area in Gustavus, AK!!!!!

I see a pattern, do you??? ::)

Dave designed and make this octopus jig head mold!!  TO me... amazing!!!!

and here is the final product!!!

Through some trial & error, Dave custom made this wire insert.

Gary COULD NOT take mental notes as fast as the information was coming from Dave.

Know what this is????

A 3-D Printer!!!  never seen one before today!!!!   I had NO idea how this machine worked until I saw it in action.   Again, AMAZING!!!!!

Dave designed this electrostatic spray paint station.  And since Dave makes it, it works just fine.

Painting was done in 20 seconds, it took NO TIME and it seemed so little paint was used.

and this is the spray gun.

So Dave and Gary, please explain more for the listening audience!!!

TANKS all!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bryan Young

🤓🤓🤓  Waiting to learn.

Wait, Dave lives in the area?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Dave is very clever, innovative, smart, and willing to share his knowledge.

A little over a year ago, Dave walked me through all of the ins & outs of powder-coat painting. 

His detailed information was both invaluable and dead-on accurate!

Like many on our site -- Great guy, great member!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gstours

Thanks Wayne for taking pictures and sharing with the folks,  both you and Dave have forgotten more than I could ever know or learn.  
  Dave invited us to come over for a visit on this trip,  not far away,  glad to have a gps and a working road trip app.  We drove by a million 🏘 houses and right to his place.    We had some quality garage time in his very clean and organized shop.   Like Wayne, I was fascinated by the 3d printer and soaked as much information as possible in the short amount of time we were visiting.
 Dave's computer skills were evident as he talked about his patterns, projects, and programs.  Waay over my comprehension........  
  As we look at everything through different eyes,  we take on challenges in different ways butt still try for the same goal.
 I,m glad to have met mr. Dave as well as my hosts Dom and Wayne on that trip to the Bay Area.
     Thanks again to everyone and Alan for making this a great big family.

Rocket Dog

Very Cool. Were positive molds made with the printer then the negatives with some other medium (the red material) to pour the led into. I assume the heads are lead inquiring minds would like to know.

Dominick

Thanks Wayno.  It was a pleasure having you here Gary.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Cool stuff! Looks like you were really concentrating Gary.
I'm glad you had a good time.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Yes, mr rocket dog, the master was a design of Dave's, and made in the 3 d printer that he put together.
   Then a mold was made of his best experience of a silicone for the size of jig.  How that was done you got to pry Dave.  The pins that lock each half are square and equal in height so I,m assuming the computer 💻 was used in the mold. 
  I,m reluctant to talk over my head or offend anyone.  I,m a simple guy,  I,m still impressed.
    And if I could say again,  thanks Dave.🤝

jurelometer

OK.  Stop it.  Now you guys are making me blush :)

I was thinking about doing a live web seminar/demo on using the design software to make a model for a lure or reel part, and then programming the design up to be cut on a CNC machine or 3D printed.  Not a training session, more of an overview so folks that are not familiar with this stuff can see how it works and stump me with questions.  If anyone is interested, let me know.

Wayne:

The wire is bent in a bending jig that is alo 3D printed.  If I bend freehand, my wire work is too "artistic" (each one comes out different, and most do not fit in the mold :) )

It was great having you guys over.  I wish I had talked less and listened more.  Gary would have learned less about mold making, but I would have become a much better halibut fisherman :)

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 23, 2020, 05:10:33 PM
🤓🤓🤓  Waiting to learn.

Wait, Dave lives in the area?

Uhh yeah, just down the street from you, remember?  We met for coffee to talk about making Newell parts.

You are welcome to come by for a demo and a beverage once this virus thing is over.

Quote from: Rocket Dog on May 23, 2020, 07:25:17 PM
Very Cool. Were positive molds made with the printer then the negatives with some other medium (the red material) to pour the led into. I assume the heads are lead inquiring minds would like to know.

I think the answer is yes if the question is inverted.  I call them mold masters, but that is inaccurate.  I am printing the mold negatives, or molds for the molds.  I started out like everybody else, printing a master of my part, burying it halfway in modeling clay, pouring the first half of the mold, removing the clay, yada, yada.  Eventually the lightbulb turned on, and I realized that I could use the software to generate negatives for both halves of the mold instead of doing it by hand with the master and some clay.  Much faster, and I can pour  a replacement mold whenever I need one.  The 3D printed negatives are so accurate and fit together so perfectly that there is no flash and very little visible seam.  Of course, later on I discovered that I was far from the the first person to figure this method out :)

One of the  tricky things when applying new technology is figuring out how to take full advantage of it, and just not use it for a few shortcuts to make the same parts the same way.

And to some extent, this is only worth it if you you are trying to design something new with specific characteristics  and need to go through several iterations to get it right.   Just taking an existing lure and manually making a mold is much simpler if you just want to copy something that already exists. 

-J

Dominick

Quote from: jurelometer on May 24, 2020, 06:34:51 AM
OK.  Stop it.  Now you guys are making me blush :)
-J

Come on, you know you love it.  :-* Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks Dave ,  I was drowning in a see of technology!👌.   You mid water flat fall jigs were even more amazing 😉.  One side is oval, other side flat angles for spin, wobble in decent I assumed?
  I've yet to make a mold for it.  Butt shown below is a Dave's original.

gstours

I,m guess ing this would be a 8-9 oz persuasive in lead.  Here's where powder coating would be nice.
    This jig makes the octopus 🐙 one a clunker, butt it's a bottom fish jig spectacular.

gstours

The wirebend jig is useful in connecting the 3 eyes and can be bent up in your spare time.
     Using a talc sock, is an idea he advised for the release agent. 

gstours

Here's what is amazing 😉.  This mold was made in the mind, not by human hands.
     Now don't blush Dave.   And thanks again for your kindness.   Happy fishing.🎣

Brewcrafter

Dave - I re-read this after talking about it on the call yesterday and all the "dots" connected!  Those are some really innovative jigs! - john