Ideal split shot tin

Started by Lingwendil, May 28, 2020, 04:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

I've had these things kicking around my tackle box since I was a little kid, and they came as hand me downs with some other tackle box contents that have since been used, lost, or forgotten. I've just instinctively left them there even when upgrading boxes, and eventually to my tackle bag now. It really is too bad products aren't packaged this way anymore. They appear to all be still there, too!

"Take a boy fishing today"

Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

xjchad

Those are really cool Anthony!
Hard to improve upon a simple, effective design like that.
I'm sure your kids will be using them too one day  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

Yeah, those and the round "tin" that Mustad fish hooks came in, were pretty much "staples' for anybody that was fishing, when I was a "yonker". Now, the cost of the packaging would be prohibitive, I suppose :-\. If it can't "go' in a "bubble pack"...it can't go !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Brewcrafter

MarkT

I carry little stuff like that in the Altoid boxes.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Sonnett

I'm 76 and been fishing since I was a very small boy. In my experience, this particular split shot tin (and there are dozens that are collectible) is the most common one existent. Certainly available well into the 60's if not later.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Sonnett on May 29, 2020, 07:58:19 PM
I'm 76 and been fishing since I was a very small boy. In my experience, this particular split shot tin (and there are dozens that are collectible) is the most common one existent. Certainly available well into the 60's if not later.

Yeah, they're readily available. I probably have 20 or so of those, a half dozen Pflueger metal hook tins and half dozen or so wood Pflueger hook containers. Personally, I like the wood containers the best. Those metal Pflueger hook tins have a tendency to corrode shut. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 29, 2020, 08:08:17 PM
wood Pflueger hook containers.
What do those look like Tommy.  Never seen.
-steve

foakes

Like Tommy, I have a coffee can full of these Ideals, Pfluegers, and also cylindrical tiny wood containers that look like they were  turned on a lathe with woodscrew top lids also.

Just tossed them in the can over the years -- along with old fishing and hunting licenses from the 20's and 30's.

Mostly found at the bottoms of old tackle boxes that I have bought over the years.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on May 29, 2020, 10:19:51 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 29, 2020, 08:08:17 PM
wood Pflueger hook containers.
What do those look like Tommy.  Never seen.
-steve

Here you go, Steve. The top is friction fit, not threaded.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 31, 2020, 02:52:27 AM
Here you go, Steve. The top is friction fit, not threaded.
Thanks.  Neat little container.
-steve

Lingwendil

I've been on a pflueger kick lately (my old direct drive supreme casts like a dream!) And would love one of those hook tins! I'll have to keep an eye out for one. Very neat little tin.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)