Ultra Cast 5000-C

Started by popeye, December 07, 2011, 10:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popeye

I have a question  about  my  reel.  There  is small amount of slack  in  handle and  after  casting reel  does  not   engage.  But I can press in  on  the handle and  it will engage  every time.  Any  ideas on  how I can  fix this?

Ken_D

Hio.....is this an ultracast common reel, or an ultra cast uncommon UC reel?  There is a difference.

alantani

there should be a small c-clip at the top of the drive shaft, underneath the handle nut.  any possibility it's missing?

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mooki

Which direction is the slack?
The kind of slack indicating the anti reverse is slipping, or sideways?
If it's sideways you might want to try giving the washer underneath the main gear a slight bend like a belleville washer, on the other hand a small amount of sideways movement is pretty normal.
Washer is #5189 in the following pic:
http://www.fiskesnack.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30604&d=1304668420

Regarding the clutch it might be as simple as adding a bit of grease underneath the clutch arm, or possibly bending the tip a tad if it's become worn or deformed.
By clutch arm I mean the part #25131 in the following pic, yours is probably mirrored as the picture is from a LH reel.
http://www.fiskesnack.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30613&d=1304671842
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

Ken_D

Another possibility could be that the shim washer on the brake plate post under the driveshaft is missing.

Historically, Alan's diagnosis comes out as reason #1: no eclip.

popeye

Mooki's response as far as pictures looks like my reel.  If this is the case I think I do not have all the spacers needed.  I  am  sending  some   pictures so you guys can  see what I'm working with. The star looking spacer concerns me as well.  I have not yet seen it on any image that I have seen.  Also the final small screw on top does not have grove for a c-clip.  The reel rod seat # is 010403 and the color is black not sure if  that makes a difference or not. One more thing I would like to know where I may find good DETAILED schematic!!!                                     

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

popeye

Thanks!   Looks like a  great schematic.   I will be  able to make good use of it for repairs. . . but it does not show the star shaped washer that is on mine under part  #20901.  Any ideas on  why  this is?

alantani

the star spring is not critical.  most reels have a plain washer.  it works fine.  also, some reels have a screw instead of a c-clip at the top of the drive shaft.  is there a hole inside the drive shaft that is threaded?  that would be where the screw goes to hold the drive shaft in place.

popeye

:) yes the shaft has internal threads and  I  am  tighting down  pretty tight  but cannot seem  to  get  the slack out .  The e-clip is thought  not  used  maybe on this style it does   appear to  be  about  the  thickness  I may  need. The pictures I  have sent can anyone tell if I  have all  the spacing  I need .  Thanks everyone for  their time Iam enjoing the challenge and getting everyones input.   

abudoc

I may be going to go out on a limb here but I don't think the star spring is supposed to be there. Try putting the reel back together without it and or replacing it with part # 5189. That might explain why when you press in on the handle and it will engage.

alantani

there is a screw that need to go inside the top of the drive shaft.  that is what will keep it in in place.  i think this might be close to the schematic you need.  there is a screw, part #20939.  call abu at 800-228-4272 and ask them to send you one.  good luck!  alan

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_5000C_%28Black%29_01-01.pdf

Ken_D

Quote from: abudoc on December 09, 2011, 12:54:18 PM
I may be going to go out on a limb here but I don't think the star spring is supposed to be there. Try putting the reel back together without it and or replacing it with part # 5189. That might explain why when you press in on the handle and it will engage.

Yes, that washer needs to be there or there will be no anti-reverse.  the prongs take the place of the other leaf on a dual leaf type.   See drawing attached. That $%!! one-armed reverse dog is a bit of a joke, and has been eliminated back to the dual leaf model, before they went instant anti-reverse. (Which, by the by, your reel can accept, if you want to retro it.)

The schematic below shows the factory mods to bring the reel back to spec.  To save a little money, you can clip all the prongs off the washer, use scissors on one of the internal drag washers, and upgrade the balance.
The plan is to double the drag washers under the main gear to make room for the dual leaf, by buying another one, or trimming one of the big ones in the gear. And 'flattening' out the exisiting copper washer, or buying a new standard one.

The non-return of the reel to the reel mode, from the cast mode, will be a function of the tension spring, a warped part, or a slight re-adjustment of the very tip of the clutch arm, to positively engage the driveshaft, instead of only partially.. as per Mooki's above..  Forget the fact I pulled up a 65...this version of the 55, and your 50, use the same internals. Your 50 does not have a ball bearing in the crank boss.. it uses that black barrel spacer. Remember to put the bellevilles on top of this part. () That way.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_6500C_99-05.pdf

Ken_D

I see your reel uses that crazy little spring that's not a spring. Dump that asap, and use the real spring. That clip causes more grief...that's why they got it gone back in the day. It weakened, causing no deposit, no return !   In the meantime till you get one, bend the clip open as far as you dare, to make more spring. If the fingers on your position holder are not set just so, the reel will also fail to re-engage.

Suggest you get another one of those as well. It's a 4.00 part.  Benny on ebay offers whole kits for cheap.
(gilbertspaylakeinky) The modern holders use an internal spring, and a new clutch arm. No spring to break or get weak. Good deal.

Ken_D

http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/6500C3%209909.pdf  Shows both position holders.

Regrets for the multiple posts, but there's a glitch in the forum programming, and my xp sp3 o/s on the ms exploder browser...I can only get so many lines typed, before the typed line jumps, sputters, and remains invisible. This for any post past a few lines of text.