Kokanee Fishing

Started by Keta, May 29, 2020, 01:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I had to deliver a sheet of aluminum to a friend and met him 1/2 way between our homes, it just happened to be at Odell Lake.  We spent the day on  unusually calm water casting jigs.  The fishing was slow but we ended up with 28 fish.   It was good to get back on the water even if it was not the ocean.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Kokanee is a fun fishery, I fish them at New Melones now and then. trolling a "wedding ring" tipped with a kernel of corn.

Gobi King

Lee,
Nice, how big do they get?

How did you fish for them?

David, what is a wedding ring?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

They can get up to a few pounds but average much smaller, we got several in the 15"-16" range but some as small as 8".

We were using 2/4 and 1/2 ounce Gibs Minnows, a mini "iron".

A Wedding Ring is a small telling spinner.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

xjchad

I have a lot of great memories trolling for kokanee with my Grandpa in the lakes of northern Idaho!
I remember using Ford Fenders, wedding rings and corn.  I miss that!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Hardy Boy

fun to fish for, not much fight, soft mouths  but ................................... oh so tasty !! I have never jigged for them that sounds fun. Nothing like a long willow leaf to really bring out the fight in a 10 incher ! :D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on May 29, 2020, 01:51:38 PM
I had to deliver a sheet of aluminum to a friend and met him 1/2 way between our homes, it just happened to be at Odell Lake.  We spent the day on  unusually calm water casting jigs.  The fishing was slow but we ended up with 28 fish.   It was good to get back on the water even if it was not the ocean.

I want to do that.  The you jig, are you on a boat or from shore?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I took my 14" flatbottom boat.  Come up when they let you out.

I troll with a verity of inline spinners I tie on the water, small spin and glows, and small hoochis behind a variety of 4" dodgers.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

We'll be down there in July, will the season still be open? I'd like to get the girls on a fish.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Newell Nut

Any size fish is exciting on the right rod. A couple years ago when I was in Nevada I had a blast catching trout on a little light rod which was very exciting.

Keta

I picked up a pair of Penn Battle II BTLII 1000 reels spooled with 30# PP Depthhunter Spectra and  Fenwic Elitetech ETW63ML-XSF rods that work well for jigging.  I troll with Shimano Calcutta  51 and Curado 201 reels on a variety of Lamaglass rods.

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 30, 2020, 05:03:47 AM
We'll be down there in July, will the season still be open? I'd like to get the girls on a fish.
Ron Jones

Most lakes do not close and all are open in July.  Odell or Crescent will be the best choices and are 90 miles north.  Lake of the Woods is 30 miles but has few fish and 6-8 inches is about as big as they get.
July is mostly trolling on Odell but early morning is still productive for "iron".  1/4-1/2 ounce pink, pink/white, orange and orange/white are good colors.

Mark Twain

steelhead_killer

Smoked, canned kok! 

Mmm
><)))">

foakes

Far from being knowledgeable, or an expert on Kokanee fishing like Lee, and many others on here -- but here are some riggings that I have used successfully.

Generally use an Okuma Kokanee 7.5' noodle rod and Penn "9's" --

Have a guy who makes gear for the local shops here in Central California -- who I do reel work for.  We trade my work for his Kokanee trolling rigs.

His gear is specialized for Kokanee -- but I and my friends have found it equally effective for Rainbows and Browns.

Our closest Kokanee fisheries are Shaver Lake & Huntington Lake.

Always have these attractors and dodgers on board when hitting the local lakes when trolling for trout.

Getting the boat ready this weekend, finally picked up my fishing license, and also the '21 registration for the boat.

Getting ready to start hitting some of the lakes on the Eastern and Western slopes of the Sierras.  

Be good to get out with Sue, the camper and boat, and our new dog, Spud.

Social distancing in our family is a well-stocked camper, Rib-Eyes, a ready boat, good gear, some books, fresh air and generally a location 7000' or higher.  We always have the day packs for a few good hikes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Did I miss a post about Spud?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.