Angling Marketplace

Started by oc1, May 30, 2020, 05:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Anyone ever dealt with Angling Marketplace?
http://www.theanglingmarketplace.com/

Is it the same as Langs?
-steve

alantani

i got an email from them also.  i always  wonder about emails getting harvested from this site, but i see no link.  i marked it as spam.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

It is legit, somewhat similar to but not exactly like Langs. Lynn Mason hosts it. Individuals list items for sale there and their names are included. As far as I am aware most are quite reputable. There is a buyer's premium, 20% if I remember right. Each seller specifies their shipping and handling charges along with their description and photos. Total price = bid price + buyers premium + shipping & handling. Auctions generally run for 10 days.

Here's a synopsis of the format from a previous auction:

The timed auction catalog will go live and bidding will commence tonight April 10, at 7:00pm ET. After 10 days of bidding, on Monday, April 20, if any lot receives a bid during the last 10 minutes of the auction (6:50-7:00pm), an extension timer will start on that lot for 10 minutes. Each time another bid is placed, the 10 minute timer resets, until no further bidding occurs, then each lot will end as the timer runs out. When all lots have closed, the successful bidders will be emailed an invoice for their purchases.

Unlike eBay, there is no last second sniping.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: alantani on May 30, 2020, 05:20:17 AM
i marked it as spam.
I would be lonely if it wasn't for spam.  :)

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 30, 2020, 06:51:30 AM
It is legit, somewhat similar to but not exactly like Langs.
Thank you sir.  21%
-s

Reeltyme

Just received my first reel won from this auction site. Everything went smooth as can be. Definitely a legitimate site. As usual, the buyer pays an auction premium, shipping and taxes. I do think it is somehow affiliated with Lang's but please don't quote me on that. Either way, a trustworthy site.

alantani

it's cheaper to do business here.....   :-\

alantani

i'd like to know where they picked up my email address.  if it was from here, i would not be happy. 

alantani

an auction site like this would not be allowed here. 

Gobi King

yeap, if you ever post your email or phone# they harvest it.

I post it like

fishing[xxx]gawd@g m a il.com

take out [xxx] and spaces

For phone:
909five_five8_000zero

many years back I dropped by a toyota dealership in detroit to get a cheap 4 door, I had 2 roadsters and needed something to transport my 1 year old from day care.
the sales guy wanted my phone number and name and bam next day I kept getting calls on my cellphone from "you won a cruise" 

Now I tell the sales guy, if I get one call from anyone or mailers, I complain to manufacturer that you violated your dealership... ;-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Midway Tommy

I don't use either Langs or the Angling Marketplace. I have a couple of issues regarding their formats, one is mental & the other is, I guess, physical. Out of sight out of mind on the buyer's premium. I can't force myself to pay an additional 20+% on something I'm bidding on, and the second, physical aspect, is they don't accept PayPal. You have to give them your credit card information when you sign up or register. Fishing license, drivers license & license plates are the sole extent of my online credit card use. If PayPal isn't offered I don't partake or buy.

Interestingly enough, Alan & Steve, I check out their auctions all the time to see what's selling for what and I've never received an e-mail from them.

BTW, Lynn also promotes, i.e. adds a link, on the ORCA Reel Talk site. If I remember right, in the beginning, the objective was basically for NFLCC & some ORCA members to have a format that bypassed eBay's & PayPal's seller fees.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reeltyme

I have bid on quite a few reels on this auction site and this is the first time I have ever won any. When I place a bid on a reel, I do so with all of the add-ons in mind, thus  the reason I never win. I always get outbid by someone. This latest purchase was definitely a fluke. I purchased a $350 - $400 reel for $180 after all fees. $15 below my max bid! Not sure what happened.
Tommy, I did pay using PayPal, (had a couple of $$ hidden from the boss!). But I still watch the add - ons.

Always chasing my "White Whale" a Mitchell 1120 - 12/0!

oc1

Quote from: alantani on May 30, 2020, 03:22:49 PM
i'd like to know where they picked up my email address.  if it was from here, i would not be happy.  

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 30, 2020, 04:57:06 PM
I've never received an e-mail from them.  

Well, that answers that.  When Alan wondered how they got his email my immediate thought was it might be an ORCA collaboration. But ORCA would not have left Tommy off the list.

For the record, Alan's email and my email can be found in our profile but Tommy's email is hidden.  Uh-oh.  Chris, did you get their notice?  Your email is not hidden in your profile.  And, the rest of you??

-steve

Swami805

I haven't got one and my email is in my profile.
I checked out a few past auctions, some big $$ for some bobbers, wouldn't have figured that
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

I'm sure we all have made purchases from various other fishing related sites. Hard to track down where exactly our info gets harvested from. It's inevitable these days.

Phone apps are the worse, I avoid them, lots of spying and data grabbing going on with those.