rusted tight 114h pinion gear

Started by tortugo, December 07, 2011, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tortugo

I have a 114h and the pinion gear is rusted tight to the shaft of the spool. Does anyone have a surefire way to remove the pinion gear without destroying it?

Norcal Pescador

If you haven't already, soak the shaft and gear in some WD40, kerosene or any other penetrating oil for at least 24 hours. Then try pulling and twisting it off. If that didn't work then soak it again for 48 hours. No guarantee once you get it off, either the spool or gear will be usable if the rust went deep into either one.
Good luck. :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Tortugo:  the answer is below.  I had to modify this post because Sal reminded me that we got chastised by Alan for getting off the subject in the thread I posted before.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Dominick, quit feuling the fire. We already got scolded once from the boss ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Sal:  I didn't mean to put the whole link in just the part where Tidetime puts in the different liquids to break frozen parts apart.
Quote from: Tidetime on April 20, 2011, 01:51:28 PM
Maybe I can add a little info to this site as far as breaking loose rusted objects.  I have a couple International scouts.  If anyone on here knows what they are you know they rust and rust bad.  After some research I came across this info and believe me there is nothing better for breaking stuck bolts. 

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;
Penetrating oil........... Average load
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ................ 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ........... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ................ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix...........53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

john2244

alantani

get two no. 2 flat screwdrivers.  shimmy them underneath the pinion gear at opposite sides, 180 degrees from each other.  if a no. 2 screwdriver is too big, get a no. 1 screwdriver.  now gently turn both screwdrivers clockwise to apply even and equal pressure to opposite sides of the pinion gear and gently lift.   clean the spool shaft with steel wool.  clean the inside of the pinion gear using a drill bit that is narrow enough to slide into the pinion gear without enlarging the hole. 

i know, i need photos for this one.  sorry.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 08, 2011, 12:32:02 AM
Tortugo:  the answer is below.  I had to modify this post because Sal reminded me that we got chastised by Alan for getting off the subject in the thread I posted before.  Dominick

not a problem!   ;D

Bryan Young

also add a little heat to the pinion gear and try not to heat the spool shaft too much in the process.  The pinion should expand slighty to possibly break the rust.  Let it cool down slowly so that the gear doesn't warp.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

If you do succeed and you're  not comfortable using a drill bit to clean the pinion gear, maybe this brush kit might come handy.

You could order it from harbor freight tools, I think it was $6.99.
You might have to put that reel to rest though :-\. Good luck!
Sal

Skip the comment above. Of course you will succeed, I thought you were talking about a Newell reel ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

tortugo

Wow! Thank you all for your help. There are a lot of good suggestions. I knew there had to be someone who came up against this problem.
Tortugo

Bryan Young

Please let us know how it works out and what method you used.  If you can support it with pics, that will be great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

This may sound funny but a Mercury mechanic turned me on to this.  The old Mercruiser Engine Cleaner in the spray can (the stuff you spray down the carb) was the absolute best thing for freeing corroded fittings. Spray it, wait a few seconds (or minutes), and the fitting would come loose. The most impressive thing I saw it do was break a tapered joint on a propeller shaft, in fact two of them. Everything else had been tried and after we used this, the props were off in five minutes. Anybody that has ever tried to break a tapered joint, even with a puller, knows how hard it is to do. A caveat. This was the stuff they sold years ago and I'm not sure the current Mercruiser Power Tune Engine Cleaner is the same but for $7 a can, it's worth a try
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

tortugo

I hadn't any luck getting the pinion gear removed so I set it aside and decided to deal with it some other day. I had another stuck pinion gear and I thought that a local mechanic could use his pully remover to fix the problem. I showed him the spool with the pinion gear rusted tight and he thought about the problem for a moment and then he came back with a couple of what might have been screw drivers that had been bent into a j shape. I held the spool and he applied the pressure with the j levers and as sweet as could be off came the stuck pinion gears.

alantani