rusted tight 114h pinion gear

Started by tortugo, December 07, 2011, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

alantani

it's so simple.  wish i would have known this from the beginning.  i could have saved a dozen pinion gears!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishy247

Great video Alan! Thanks! I was soaking them in PB Blaster for an hour to a week, then loosely grabbing the pinion with pliers(hoping to not damage it!) and wiggling it up. Doing it like you show in the video GREATLY increases the odds of saving the pinion! :D

Eddie K

I've had pinion gears stuck in spool shaft too.  How I solved it was to place the spool in my deep freezer for 3 to 4 hours, remove the spool from the freezer and warm the pinion gear up with a torch, pop the pinion free with a screwdriver.  Don't overheat the pinion gear.  Works every time for me.

Sonnett

I am a great believer in Kroil in these instances. Had an 1840's English shotgun and the percussion nipples had not been removed in over 100 years. Could not budge them with a wrench. A two-hour soak in Kroil and they came out with no problems. Same case with a stuck pinion on a J A Coxe reel. Tapping with a light hammer did nothing. A soak in Kroil and it came right off. Don't spill it as it will cover an entire shop floor in time -- LOL

wussero

I think using heat is best, if possible  rather than penetrating oil.

Liquid wrench penetrating semeed to be best penetrating oil.

See video from Project Farm on youtube.com