alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Penn shims??
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 30, 2020, 11:49:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn shims??  (Read 2116 times)
jlnel

« on: June 01, 2020, 07:26:06 PM »

Where can you get the shims for some penn reels?

I was looking for some for a 6500ss main gear and it showed oop??

It's a common reel and not super old, there has to be an option, i just dont know what.

Is there an assortment kits with shoms for most penns?

Most spinning like greenies to the new spinfisher stuff is what i am mostly looking to get them for.

Thanks!
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:47:41 PM »

Not sure what shims you are looking for, John?

Do you have pics, part #'s, Schematics, or is this just trying to tighten up any slop in the main gear -- as an aftermarket fix?

All purpose brass shims are typically available through places like McMaster-Carr.  They are ordered in bulk most economically -- by thickness, ID, & OD.

If they are factory shims -- someone will have what you need.

Maybe I don't understand what you need.

Let us know.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

---------

Self-worth is how you value yourself. It’s not based on what others think of you or the things you have (or haven’t) accomplished—it comes from within. But it’s easy to forget that our worth isn’t determined by outside forces -- each of us sets our own price.
jlnel

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 04:39:36 AM »

I had a part number written down but cant find it at the moment.

But the little washer/s that go between the main gear and side bearings.

Slightly bumping cross block screws and have seen them used to bump the gear out a bit.

Ill post part number if i find it soon.

I dont know sizes but would order from mcmaster or another source if recommended.

I dont have calipers so if there is a size chart or something please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

John
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 07:42:14 AM »

My advice, John --

Get a digital caliper.  Amazon has a decent one on sale for $10 -- free shipping.  Here is a photo.

You will use it for many, many other measurements on reels also..

Then, this could be close to your shims.  Mystic has them for $1.15 each.  They go between the bearing and main gear.

If you needed a large assortment, I would figure out what reels you might need them for, measure sizes as to thickness, ID, & OD.  Then find a source like McMaster-Carr, or someone else, to order a large assortment in bulk.  They would only likely cost a few cents apiece at that point.

Best,

Fred

* 6F805AEE-B301-4B5F-AF9D-3416BC132392.png (871.73 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 62 times.)

* B97BC3E4-04F4-47C4-9A7B-575AEF9C8AAD.png (214.19 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 61 times.)

* 1F1B10DA-276D-4DB9-9E33-E5767CC9404B.jpeg (389.34 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 61 times.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:48:52 AM by foakes » Logged

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

---------

Self-worth is how you value yourself. It’s not based on what others think of you or the things you have (or haven’t) accomplished—it comes from within. But it’s easy to forget that our worth isn’t determined by outside forces -- each of us sets our own price.
Rancanfish
Firearms Group

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 08:07:38 AM »

I just shimmed a Newell reel bearing with some shims I found in my ProGear stuff.  I have no idea where they came from, but in the back of my mind I knew I had some.  They were 1000th thick.  I installed a Cortez clicker set that would not engage at all until I pushed the spool over.

I need to locate the source, too.

As Fred said, you will find a use for calipers.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:10:06 AM by Rancanfish » Logged

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 11:14:55 AM »

Get rolls of brass shim stock in several thicknesses.  You can easily cut your own shims whenever they are needed and will find a million and one other uses for the stuff.
-steve
jlnel

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 04:34:57 PM »

Hi all,

I think the part no i was looking for is 8A-6000.

I need to get the digital calipers, i have a dial style and would not trust myself reading it at that small of a reading.

If anyone has some of those let me know but ill be back to ask question when i start making my own, i think that will be a great skill to have.

Thanks for the tips, let see how this adventure will go!! ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: