I have to fix this one.

Started by Rancanfish, June 02, 2020, 06:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I have an old Team Daiwa telescopic flipping stick that I use for chucking 1oz hair raisers, 1oz Kastmasters, etc.  I baby it and it is pretty pristine still.

I am always on the look out for another, and stumbled on one with a damaged guide mid blank.  Made an offer and it's on it's way via FedEx.

Now I have to find someone local to take on the replacement.

Soooo, any local S.F. bay area rod repair guys you trust?  There is a small store next town over that I use to go to, but the Yelp reviews say some items, (with new ownership), have just disappeared into a black hole.  I'm not going to chance that.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

happyhooker

I can't help you directly. but if you have some time and patience, rewrapping a guide is within the capabilities of most everyone, and does not have to be expensive.  For just wrapping a few guides, you do not need any special tools. 

Frank

Jim Fujitani

I agree.  Everyone must start somewhere, if you have an interest.  Jon Vadney started somewhere. 

For an operational rod (as opposed to a work-of-Vadney-art):  You can do the single company order route (Mudhole, and others) or piece things together from several sources and contacts (more fun looking and yakking with human beings).  You don't need to start with a rod wrapping machine.  Check YouTube for some guidelines to follow, on hand wrapping.

What you need (minimum to get away with):

1.  replacement guide (look at the Mudhole site to find what it might be).
2.  thread (can even steal some Coats and Clark close-to-color-match spools from the wife, if she sews).
3.  masking tape (to hold the new guide while you start wrapping).
4.  Xacto knife (to cut off old wrap, and trim thread ends on new warp.
5.  "spool holder", I was a fly fisherman and fly tier before I started building rods, so I used a thread bobbin to hold the thread spool and wrapped the rods in my lap.
6.  Rod varnish or rod epoxy to cover the thread wraps.  Color preserver is not necessary for an operational rod.

Good luck and have fun with your repair, should you want to attempt it!!

sabaman1

A cardboard box with 2 V notches as your rod wrapper, and a book where you can run your thread through somewhere halfway to apply tension to your thread and if you need more tension just stack another book or 2 on top, a sharp razor to cut thread and a loop of thread as a thread puller. As simple as that!
JIM

gstours

Thanks for the early others to reply.  If you're interested in making the repair you have a lot of support here.  You can do it,  it's not very hard.  Take your time, you're going to learn things and it a wholesome hobby,  maybe you will help your friend with a similar problem.  Have fun.   Don't worry.🎣

Dominick

Randy, if you can wait until this scourge is over you can come to my garage and watch me fix it for you.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Well, it looks like I have lots of coverage on this problem.  It still hasn't gotten here yet, maybe tomorrow.

I'll post up a pic of the damage when it shows up.

Thanks to all.  (Today I'm putting new transom wood in my little 12' Gregor aluminum boat).  It's warm out there.

SoCalAngler

If Dom doesn't do it for you many tackle shops can or will know where to go in your area. I have a shop about 300 yards from my house and they wrap rods. I had a metal ring pop out off a guide, my fault when loading it into my truck. I took it to them and it cost me $10 to fix. No need for me to buy thread to match the others, finish or the guide.

thorhammer

Randy, if you decide to do DIY, I'm happy to send out what I may have; I very likely have the guide and matching thread. (I'm still sending you the 155 drags, you'll just have spares :) I wrapped a lot of rods on two t-stands with V cut in (use cardboard as directed earlier for just one guide), tensioning the thread in my off-hand. You can use nylon upholstery thread from Wallyworld but apply several coats of clear nail polish to seal it or you will get voids, providing I don't have the correct NCP for you. Team Daiwa is pretty good stuff from what I've seen- worth doing as good of a repair as you can. Five-minute clear epoxy will work, and will set up enough in a half hour (don't walk away in five minutes) that you can hand turn it for that long to level the finish.

J

zoner

Just wanted to throw it out there I just did a one guide repair on one of my old bass rods. Didn't have any rod finish and too cheap to buy some just for one guide so I made do with 2 part 5 minute epoxy. I wrapped rods for years and you really cant tell it's not rod finish. To remove the old wrap take a hair dryer or heat gun and apply just enough heat to soften the finish on the wrap. Then carefully use you razor blade to get one wrap of thread loose and unwind the old thread. Be careful to keep the blade off the rod blank. Good luck

Rancanfish

I fought the android and won!  Pics are blurry but hopefully show two double footed guides.  One with the guide insert missing, and the one next to it on the rod.  Tied with black thread with a gold wrap at each end. They look almost identical in size.  I'm going to caliper them in a minute.

Alright, my rookie guess is it's an 8mm guide with a 13mm height, Black stainless with an aluminum oxide insert.  Opinions?

Definitely don't know how they got gold and then black.

Rancanfish

Update:  I quit.  I can't see but a very short section of thread on one foot. The other, I don't see any.  After multiple finger burns and lots of scraping I can see the blank.  I don't want to chance ruining fibers. I have the guide off but still have a distinct lip on the upper edge.  The gold thread fell off on the one side I got clean.

So back to plan A.  Found some one to fix it about 1/2 hour away.

Rancanfish

Well, after dealing with Bryan, the owner of Physh Styx,  I have to say he is a real pro.  My rod looks 100% original and was done in a few days and inexpensively.  Earned my future business for sure.