A new weapon for jig bottom fish 🎣

Started by gstours, June 04, 2020, 03:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Good things take time.  Finally a jig head about 20 oz got finished.  I'm hoping for a good fish and not a rock.   U can't buy anything like this that I'm aware of.  With a good mold making another is quite possible.
   It's fun to catch fish on your creations.🎣

gstours

Another view.   Let's go fishing.

Ron Jones

That is awesome. Do you know what the whole jig finishes out at as far as weight? I'm looking for about 1000 grams.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jurelometer

Go get 'em Gary!

Wait...  Tell me that isn't duct tape.    :) 

Quote from: Ron Jones on June 04, 2020, 07:08:57 PM
That is awesome. Do you know what the whole jig finishes out at as far as weight? I'm looking for about 1000 grams.
The Man

You aren't going to get to a  kilogram without another lb or  so of lead.   And skirts are nearly neutral buoyancy.

-J

jzumi

Looks awesome!

How is the skirt affixed?

Thanks!
John

gstours

Thanks for the comments and questions.   first was the question of 1000 grams,  its about 35 ounces right?
  I havent made any jig heads this heavy yet.   Butt its entirely possible.   Let me know if your still interested in this size.
As for the duct tape ???  you made me laugh. ;)  the skirt is trimmed by a scissors to eliminate the cone nose part,  then sliced at the head lengthwise and wrapped on slightly streaching and cinching to the lead with initial wraps of thread.    whipped on by spectra and the silver is fingernail polish.   to jazz it up and provide the fish a finished look! :D
  The mold i,m using for this secret weapon jig is plaster of paris and has sort of a rough finish.  Butt i made it myself and learned a lot.
  Currently i,m dipping these jigheads in paint and drip dry.  several cotes help creat a smooth finish,  then eyes are painted , etc.
      I love playing around in my shop.    :-*

gstours

Using the plaster mold the thickness was considered to be giving more life of the thing so i made it quite a block.  above the eye is too long in my liking butt i had to start somewhere.   The wire eye is very stiff titanium wire,  butt with the length exposed it could bend i guess,    something has to give,  right?   now after doing some pouring i think less is accptable as some have cracked.   i think a reinforcing wires or rod like used in concrete would help butt thats crazy.  the plaster is soft and can be easily worked with simple tools.
   I also recently found out that silicone in a tube caulking can be used to smooth the interier of the mold and keep the eyes in place and seal the eye ates so the lead doesent fill the eyes.   just my thoughts. :-\
   Shown below is a recent fish i got on a kodiac style jig.  totally homade,  more on these little ones later.    keep busy :)

boon

Here is the closest commercial equivalent, people locally are using these for wreckfish in 1000ft+
https://www.catchfishing.pro/product/giant-squidwings/

Available in up to 750g.

gstours

Thanks mr Boon for the link.     I like what they have done with apparently putting the lead in the skirt head.  When the jigs get heavier they tend to be quite long for me.  The blue and white colors have excellent contrast and work well in the deep.   
   New Zealand ??  Wonder what the order time and shipping costs for a couple?    Have anybody tried these yet?    just wondering?   gst.

gstours

Here's about as heavy as I go with this style of jig.   It's from a plaster o Paris mold.  Crude, rude, butt inexpensive.🤦‍♂️🎣

gstours

Going with the green this 12 oz has a glow skirt underneath,  🐙 so we,ll see? 
   As these are assembled using a modified fly vice they can be rotated and the thread wraps coated.
       Then removed to add the hooks and crimp or split ring on.🎣

Dominick

Those butts don't stand a chance.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Hi gary, maybe the rough finish helps the paint to grip & stay on longer, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

At first I was just trying to see if the plaster o Paris molds could be a usable option.  The finish is rough, not very pretty at first.  Here's a raw 20 ouncer.   The bottom can grab one of these and I,m not out much.
    Learning is fun .   Evolution.   More fish pictures planned.🎣🤦‍♀️

boon

Quote from: gstours on June 18, 2020, 03:04:49 PM
Thanks mr Boon for the link.     I like what they have done with apparently putting the lead in the skirt head.  When the jigs get heavier they tend to be quite long for me.  The blue and white colors have excellent contrast and work well in the deep.   
   New Zealand ??  Wonder what the order time and shipping costs for a couple?    Have anybody tried these yet?    just wondering?   gst.

Order time would be pretty good, other than maybe COVID shipping delays... shipping costs would be horrific; I just quoted it up and DHL would be ~53NZD, although the exchange rate is currently very favourable to the USD.

2 jigs shipped would work out to about 65USD.

If I can work out a cheap way to get them to the US I'll let you know, because the jigs themselves are routinely on sale for less than 20USD, including two heavy-duty assist hooks, which seems quite reasonable.