True Value & Quality vs. Advertising Claims

Started by foakes, June 04, 2020, 05:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Ok name the tool use,,,, :D I got two,,,,, ;D

oc1

My guess:

first one - a press for stamping numbers or letters into metal.  Just like the Dymo label maker I had as a kid.

second one - 1/2 x 9/16 inch offset wrench so you can work on something that is around a corner.

What do we win?  Ted was giving away neat reels and stuff like that.

-steve

Crow

The *Williams wrench , is an "S" pattern , which did make it easier to work around obstructions. Even enlarging the pic, I can't make out all the markings, but a lot of those were made, by *Williams, for various car, farm implement, and machinery manufacturers, to be part of the supplied "tool kits". Most were marked, as to 'size", but, the size wasn't "across the flats" as is done now, but the size of the "shank" of the bolt. So, a wrench marked "1/2" , was for a 1/2 inch bolt, which had a 3/4" spacing, "across the flats". I've never seen (that I can remember) a metal stamp like that one....all I've seen were "individual" punches
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

The first one,,,, :) I think was for a moldel A ford and the second one was for the vin numbers on old grumman fire trucks,,,, :D I hope someone else can post some cool tools,,,,,,, 8)

Brewcrafter

I'm with Benni - I seem to recall having a wrench like that (or similar) in a packet of Model A tools that I acquired.  But I also have to think an "S" type wrench is actually probably not uncommon.  I've seen my Dad torch wrenches to make a custom tool... - john

Benni3

Quote from: Brewcrafter on June 24, 2020, 12:42:54 AM
I'm with Benni - I seem to recall having a wrench like that (or similar) in a packet of Model A tools that I acquired.  But I also have to think an "S" type wrench is actually probably not uncommon.  I've seen my Dad torch wrenches to make a custom tool... - john

Yes sir,,,,, and the only way I know that is a 80year old mechanic show me one and told me what it's for,,,,, ;) but this thing I found on the side of the rod,,,,, ??? 18wheelers or fire trucks I can't remember,,,,, :-[ so if anybody knows,,,,,,, ;D