Jeff Gallup’s Cube Tackle Box

Started by mmayo, June 04, 2020, 11:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

After giving one of these away and building it as a "one off" it has taken off. Jeff is a repeat customer who already has one of my Jon Boxes. An effort was made to find similar wood grain and tone of his other box.

It is roughly 10" square.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

Ron Jones

Really do like these. I have recently purchased a couple hundred board feet of WRC. I am going to pick through it to find enough vertical grain to build something close. I'm thinking I'll use raised panels on the sides, just because I like them.

Outstanding execution, as always.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Beautiful masterpiece, Mark --

Practical and clever in the simplicity (Seems simple -- but not easy to do that).

Plus, the box jointing flows naturally with the woodgrain direction.

Thanks for showing is!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mmayo

Quote from: foakes on June 04, 2020, 11:48:02 PM
Beautiful masterpiece, Mark --

Practical and clever in the simplicity (Seems simple -- but not easy to do that).

Plus, the box jointing flows naturally with the woodgrain direction.

Thanks for showing is!

Best,

Fred

Simple enough to take 2-3 weeks of work. I've been playing with the front and back pieces trying different orientations. The four side pieces that form the case please me too. If possible the grain flows around the box. Easy to screw up so lots of chalk gets used to stray straight.

Thanks

Tiddlerbasher

Donnyboat

Great work alright, thanks for showing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Mark, amazing as always! I continuously marvel at my box, turned around just now to do so and smile at owning such a piece. One day I might actually take it fishing...by myself, where I'm sure one of my buddies wont stand on it lol. It houses the best of my poppers, jigs, and Redfins.

What's the purpose of the cube layout? looks like hanging spots for plugs and a space for a couple 3600 boxes?

John

mmayo

Quote from: thorhammer on June 05, 2020, 03:19:18 PM
Mark, amazing as always! I continuously marvel at my box, turned around just now to do so and smile at owning such a piece. One day I might actually take it fishing...by myself, where I'm sure one of my buddies wont stand on it lol. It houses the best of my poppers, jigs, and Redfins.

What's the purpose of the cube layout? looks like hanging spots for plugs and a space for a couple 3600 boxes?

John

The cube shape came from a friend who decided what he wanted: small and to hang 16-24 jigs. The rest of the space was free form for everything else. As I started to design it I decided it was close to cubic so I went for it. It seems popular and I have two paid orders and a spec box after giving the friend his box.

I want one and will make it my day trip box.