Main Menu

Strength Spin Mitey

Started by xjchad, June 05, 2020, 02:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

While organizing my reels and parts a few weeks ago, I found this tiny little Strength Spin Mitey.  I was looking for an ultralite for the sweet little Harnell rod that Anthony sent me. I had wanted to find a US made reel, but this should work well and it's free since I already had it.

This thing is in poor shape! I got it on eBay a couple years ago for under $10 including shipping.

It needs a bail spring and the AR is not working, so it may not end up being fishable, but I'll see what I can do.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

philaroman

Tom can tell you more: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22628.msg275760#msg275760
here's what little I know: it's a decent Japanese Cargem Mignon clone
w/ steel-on-steel worm gears and OPEN ball bearing!!!
...as in dozens of individual steel balls :o
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28256.0

in what shape are the spool & drag knob?   I may want it, just for those
BTW, did you mean to post in "For Sale" ?

Midway Tommy

They are a well made Japanese reel from the early '60s. A bail spring should be an easy substitute, but if it still has one they can be adjusted fairly easily. The anti-reverse should be an easy fix. It is a ball/detent spring setup. The rotor nut is reverse thread. The bearings are a loose ball configuration so be careful when you take it apart. Phil's link didn't work for me so here's a link to my Spin Mitey & Red Ram photos . Hopefully they will help in your tear down. They're different sizes but very similar in design. Just ask if you run into a snag.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

yup...  got lazy
thought I could just post a link to a search
for all of Tom's Spin Mitey posts
but it links to a blank/new search
fixed it

xjchad

Thanks guys!
I think this reel will match well with my UL Harnell rod that Anthony sent me.  Should fish 4 lb. line great I think.

Great pics and info as usual Tommy!  I knew you'd have knowledge of it!  The bail spring is missing completely, so I'll have to make one.  All components are there for the AR, but it seems like it's just not engaging with the ratchet for some reason.  Once I have it all cleaned up we'll see better what's going on.

Phil, I'm not trying to sell it, at least not yet.  I needed a new UL reel, but couldn't find one in my price range, so when I found this in the garage, I figured I'd see if I could make it usable.  It was really rough on the outside, and grimey inside, but I'm hoping I can make it mechanically sound for fishing.  Since it will be used, I'm not too concerned about the cosmentics.

Here's a few pics, I'll post more as I go.  This is a "lunch break" project to keep in my desk at work  ;D

Had to file the head of this screw a bit to get a grip on it.

Here's the innards.

Crow

Neat looking little reel !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

Chadley, what you gonna do about that bail? I have a few '80s Japanese spinners otherwise in working order but bail chroming is toast...I figured I'd steel wool it down to 0000 and let it rip, but with 4lb mono not much margin for a nick. Lemme know. Imma steal yo trick.

The Hammer

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on June 05, 2020, 04:35:01 PM
Chadley, what you gonna do about that bail? I have a few '80s Japanese spinners otherwise in working order but bail chroming is toast...I figured I'd steel wool it down to 0000 and let it rip, but with 4lb mono not much margin for a nick. Lemme know. Imma steal yo trick.

The Hammer

Hammer Time,
I've been thinking about that...  ;D
I was thinking about just sanding it down smooth and polishing it as best I could, but that's lot of work and then it has to be continued to keep it from rusting.
Since this reel is beat up already, I'm thinking I'll just remove the bail completely and go bailless. 
Solves the bail return spring issue also  :D

Midway Tommy

Chad,

Since it's going to be a user you could sand the plating off with ultra-fine sandpaper, then steel wool, buff it if you have a buffing wheel and coat it with a metal protectant/sealer. Flood Penetrol is a very good raw metal protector and won't peel or flake like chrome type paints. People use it all the time to protect older tools. To seal a raw bail you should wipe it on with a clean rag, wipe off the excess and let it soak into the metal. Don't put on a heavy coat. Do a second thin coat in a day or so. Down the line additional maintenance would be just like the first coat, a thin wipe over and let dry. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Never fished one if these reels
Servicing a couple for friends
I was impressed with the inside of them.

Based on this I agree with Tommy. Looks to be a fine reel

philaroman

careful w/ that black plastic drag knob -- mine crumbled
...but then, my whole spool is some kind of defective factory second