Buying a Used Reel---A Positive Experience.

Started by Gfish, July 12, 2020, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Seller: cunni00. Full store name: Cunninghams Everyday Treasures. Looks like they gota wide range of stuff. I made a offer on an old Jerry Rice 49'ers jersey. Didn't check, but "make an offer" might be a thing with 'em.

The reel looks like it was used a few times back in the day and stored. Some ply-0-bond--like dried green grease gumming up the moving parts.
Guessing a size between a Squidder and Jigmaster with a relatively small spool which takes 220yds. of 25lb. mono. The apparent strength factor(aluminium spool, frame and side-plates, steel outside rings and steel stand) make it for me, easily a 30lb. reel.
Basically, it's very early--conventional--Penn'esk, with just about everything improved except the drag washers(some kinda asbestos or fiberous phenolic lookin stuff). Ideally, instead of rivets, there'ed be screws for the stand and knob.
She's spinning good after a 1/2 nighter, not much wear anywheres. I'mina replace the washers with c-tex, polish the spool shaft/pinion and put braid with a 30lb. Mono topper on her. Might be better'n new!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!