Tycoon 1000 restoration

Started by Cuttyhunker, June 05, 2020, 03:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

I need some help on what I may be getting into with restoring an old bamboo Tycoon rod, not sure if it is a 12 or 20 oz.  The guides are all there, including the tip, the varnish is severely crazed to the point the writing is gone and only a fraction of the Tycoon decal remains,  the seat is good with the Pat pending oval plate in place.  Mice have gnawed away a fair amount of the cork. Looking for advice on a fair deal to get it restored and a ballpark value.  I recall a cherry 1000 changing hands here in an older thread. Thanks.
Doomed from childhood

1badf350

Bob the 1000 series was a more "popularly priced" rod. You would think there would be more of them around but they are pretty hard to find. 
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

My 1009 is about 16.5mm across at the base. The 1016 is 22.5mm
This might help you narrow down which one you have.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

oldmanjoe

My vote is for a restoration .     Can you snap a couple of close up pictures of the guides please .   joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

droppedit

I've restored a couple of old bamboo fly rods and found the best way to remove the old varnish is to scrape it off. Now that will remove any decals and inscription but it will bring it down to the bamboo. I used a glass scraper. If you go to a hardware store that cuts glass they have all sorts of scrap that they'd probably give you. Not too much pressure and use long strokes. The glass will not bend and it will make a straight cut and just remove the varnish. Do not use any heat or any removal chemicals as they may damage or make the glue let go. I use McCloskey spar varnish for a finish. It is pretty user friendly.
https://www.mccloskey.com/pdf/80_6505-Series-McCloskey-Man-OWar-Spar-Varnish.pdf

I've rewrapped a couple large rods for Bulleye and another of his friends but I didn't do anything to the varnish on the blank. I'm sure they will chime in on what they've done first.
Decals can be made if you are clever on the computer. If you know anyone with an Alps printer they should have no problem printing one for you. If not and you have the artwork complete PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.
Hope this helps,

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Cuttyhunker

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I'll probably not try this myself even though I've been keeping rods "going" most of my life, I am a noob to bamboo and wouldn't want to start with this one as my first project.
Chris,
Are you measuring at the base of the exposed bamboo? Any feeling for the fair market? Not really looking to sell, just don't want to get into a loco over spend versus the value.
Joe,
Just got back to New England from FL, the rod is up in the joists behind other tackle, will try to get the old girl down over the weekend, provided I'm far enough along on the "honey-do" stuff and get you some quality shots.
Dave,
Would you have any recommendations on a good Mass outfit to quote this?  There is a New Bedford shop, CMS, been around a long time with a solid rep, I'll look to them for a referral as well, if this is something they aren't set up for or interested in.

Prior to talking to any restorer I just am looking for some solid expert advice with no vested interest. 
Doomed from childhood

1badf350

Im measuring about an inch above the top of the grip. Also sent you a PM
-Chris

droppedit

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

oc1

Varnish with the same recipe as the original probably does not exist.  The old stuff has deteriorated and the new stuff has an improved formula.  Still McCloskey is probably a really close substitute and it would take mass spectrometry or something to tell the difference. 

Nylon was not invented until 1937 and did not really come into common use until after the war.  So, anything pre-war would have had silk thread.  They try to pass off a lot of stuff as silk thread these days, but if you look hard enough you can still find the real thing.

Alex is out there and probably looking at this.  He has the skills and equipment to make a replica water transfer decal.

-steve

Cuttyhunker

Steve,
I'm a little surprised the guides are still in place on this one and fairly solid.  The guides on the Royal Hickory were about to fall off as the wrap was disintegrating when dad had it stored in the tool shed back in the 60's.  As a kid I had no idea they were silk wrapped but did, fortunately, pull them off, and tie them all to the reel seat with a piece of nylon twine that did survive.  I'll have to do some research on the 1000 series as to dates they were available.  I have a few old bamboo nine to ten foot surf casters with the opposing guides, swivel or stirrup tips, to avoid the "set". This one is all designed to fish "one way", was there a point in the bamboo design when the ratio of the length to thickness made the set a non issue?
Thanks,
Bob   
Doomed from childhood

Swami805

I think the setting isn't an issue with split bamboo or wood since it's several pieces laminated together, the grain in each piece is different. It would warp if stored improperly.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

Joe,
Here are all 5 guides
Chris
At the base just above the wrap 3/4" 18.85mm
At the decal 5/8" 15.85mm between guides 1 and 2 pointing screw driver
The ferrule is stuck, going to mix up a 50/50 ATF-Acetone and let it work a few days, the cork is chewed up to the bamboo
Doomed from childhood

oc1

Those are beautiful guides.  The cork can be repaired without removing guides but it's really tedious to do it that way.

They can all take a set/bend.  A casting rod that takes a set early in the day will be a nuisance to fish with; hence the over-under guides.  A trolling rod that takes a set early in the day is not such a nuisance.  They can all be straightened by hanging the rod vertically between trips.

The Tycoon horizontal laminations as shown in the advert above are interesting. They have an asymmetrical cross section too.   Joe will be taking note of that.  The 1000 series is single built hexagonal.  Their strongest rods were double built hexagonal with two layers of bamboo thick.
-steve

1badf350

Steve which rods by Tycoon were double built hexagonal? I cant say I have seen one before.
-Chris

Cuttyhunker

Doing Tycoon research I found this on Ed Pritchard's site, a salesman's cross sectional sample display of Tycoon rods, he has, as you would expect, a bunch of additional Tycoon info.
Doomed from childhood