Can I re-epoxy old guide wrappings?

Started by Balvar24, August 12, 2022, 10:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

I've never built a rod, but have thought about it a few times.  Looking for some advice.

I picked up a couple of older Conolon rods.  One is a dandy 2121 ultralight spinning rod.

The wrappings on the guides look to be in good shape, but the epoxy is cracking.

Can I replace the epoxy with out re-wrapping the guides and get decent results?

Any tips?

Hardy Boy

I have done it to several old war horse rods. Remove loose cracking finish and redo. I used flex coat rod finish. Turned out good. I have no rod turning device so I just sat in my char, watch foot ball and turned by hand.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Swami805

You can do it as long as the thread is in good shape.  Wipe them down with denatured alcohol first to get a better bond.  It may darken the thread in places depending on the type of thread used
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Hows the ring? That's the real question
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Balvar24

Ring?

Also, what are the benefits of high build over lite Flex Coat?

Cor

as long as you are not after a perfect finish, you can do it.    I have done it a few times with good results.
Cornelis

Midway Tommy

Since they're Conolons, are you sure it's epoxy & not old style varnish?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Balvar24

Probably varnish.  Early 60's rods.  I've got a lower grade one that seems not not have much or any sealer on it at all.

Is varnish easier to remove/replace?

Also, if I'm reusing the wraps, I'm assuming color preserver would not be necessary?

Breadfan

If its varnish, I'm not sure how you could get it off without damaging the threads. Even if it was a type of epoxy, it sounds difficult to remove without damaging threads. I've never tried it, I just always remove the whole guide and re-wrap, then epoxy or Permagloss.I had an older rod with varnish on it and I just went over it with Permagloss and it turned out looking new. But, the old varnish was not cracked so your results could be a different outcome. Permagloss is a very thin Urethane that basically takes the place of varnish. It is clear, will not yellow and it will remain flexible. Two or three coats will do it if you are re-wrapping, one if you are just going over the old varnish. A much better alternative. Let us know what your results are, whatever you choose to do!

JasonGotaProblem

I guess what I was asking, is whether the guide itself is still in good shape and worth keeping. The wraps could look great but if the ring was cracked or corroded the whole thing would be up for replacement.

But then I'm no rod restorer. I'm more on team strip it and start over with modern hardware. I know that position removes me from the majority opinion around here, but i have fun.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Balvar24

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 15, 2022, 01:28:47 PMI guess what I was asking, is whether the guide itself is still in good shape and worth keeping. The wraps could look great but if the ring was cracked or corroded the whole thing would be up for replacement.

But then I'm no rod restorer. I'm more on team strip it and start over with modern hardware. I know that position removes me from the majority opinion around here, but i have fun.

The rods and guides look brand new.  Finish on the wrapping is cracked.  May just use one and see what happens.

steelfish

just do it amigo, I have done that hundred of times with the loaner rods of the Panga boats here in Baja, Mex.

if you just want to add the epoxy for keep the thread encapsulated in epoxy and keep the guides safe from corrosion just clean the area with DNA, let it dry, pour a thin coat of your epoxy of choice and call it done.

a picture of your guides with cracked epoxy will work wonders to help you in a better way.
The Baja Guy

Balvar24

Not the best pictures, but hopefully you get the idea:

Swami805

Looks ok to recoat   That could be a lot of varnish or a little flex coat, hard to tell with a picture.  I'd use flexcoat or another 2 part epoxy finish ( there's a bunch for rods) and try a few guides and see how it goes. 
Wipe them down with DNA first to get any oil or other junk that might impede the finish. Guides and thread look good. Ultimately do two coats, first one fairly light then when dry cut off any fuzzies or thread sticking up with a sharp blade or a fingernail file so it's smooth.  Then a 2nd coat to encase it and you should be good to go
Very important to get a good mix, mix more than you think you'll need,
You could try varnish or permagloss too, no mixing and easier to apply but not as durable
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

Sometimes I'll just clean up the old varnish then overwrap the existing guide thread with new and spar varnish the result.  Looks good as a double wrap and never had one fail yet.DSC02010.JPGDSC02002.JPG 
Doomed from childhood