Squidder modified spool capacity

Started by MeanMachine, June 06, 2020, 08:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMachine

Hi Guys,  I have a modified Penn Squidder with a Tiburon P15 frame. The reel also has a Newell spool for which I'm looking for info on line capacity. Just wondering if anyone has this combo and if its ok using 40# solid braid for bottomfishing.  I'm also wondering if the 40# braid diameter will be too small and get caught between the spool and the frame?  I may have to go with larger braid? Thanks for all your help!

sabaman1

The 40 lb spectra will work just fine, just adjust your freespool knob if you feel you have to much gap. I have 40lb powerpro on all my squidders and
no problems at all with line. I do fish a 75 to 100 ft mono topshot on them though and sometimes a short fluoro leader.
JIM

Porthos

If my 27 (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15627.0) can do it, your Squidder can too...go hollow core for "max" capacity:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30583.0

50lb is the lowest I'd go for main line test = top shot test. The Squidder's 5-60 brass main gear is beefier than the Monofil's 5-155 so putting 20lbs max drag on the 5-60 has been discussed (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31011.0). Assuming that the rest of your Squidder mods can handle that much drag, a modded 145 could be fished up to 60lb top shots with 18lbs drag from top-of-spool and 60lb hollow core main; capacity should be sufficient. If my 100 Newell spool (same "factory" capacity as a 146 spool) can hold 400yds+ of 50lb hollow core, I'd expect the wider 145 Newell spool to hold as much 60lb hollow core if not more. YMMV.

My 27 has landed dorado, YT, and YFT on San Diego-based long-range trips; your 145 could handle the same grade fish and more...no need to limit to bottom fishing, IMHO.

MeanMachine

Thanks Guys,  

I'm thinking I'll try 60# hollow metered braid.  With a 40#-50# short topshot. I have the upgraded handle, frame, spool, gear sleeve and drags on that reel.  

Aloha,

sabaman1

The 146 spool from Pro Challenger held 340 yds of 40lb solid Izorbraid with room for a short mono topshot. So Im presuming a 145 spool should hold well over 400 yds of solid 40lb braid. In my opinion it would be better to go with 65 lb braid in your case, cause having well over 400 yds is expensive and kinda not all that useful for a reel that size. Since 25lb topshot would probably be your max. The gear ratio and torque is very low and suited for inshore fishing with medium size Yellowtail or Sea bass being your largest quarry. I do alot of Calico and Sandbass fishing mainly with mine, but would have no problem throwing a bait for Yellowtail combined with the right rod.
JIM

MeanMachine

Thanks Sabaman & Porthos! Some really great ideas on those replys. Do you add a filler under the braid?  Mono, Dacron or some other braid? The reason I wanted to use the 60 hollow was the ability to splice.  I see now JB one has 40# hollow but that may be a pain to splice. What do you guys think about those smaller (<60#) hollow braids. Also Sabaman what kind of rod do you recommend for the Yellowtail fishing?

Porthos

The 27 is all hollow core to maximize main line capacity.

David Hall

Put some sports wrap or tape or something on the arbor of your spool.  Otherwise you get what I got when I added braid to my JM hotrod the first time.  Not something you want when you get a fish on the hook.

Ron Jones

I have a Surfmaster 100 with Tib frame and SS gear sleeve. Alan put 300 yards of 60 hollow on it (to the top of the spool.) I've used it for party boat bottom fishing, nothing to big yet, but Porthos' real has convinced me that this rig can do anything you'd ask a reel this size to do.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sabaman1

I like to fish mine on the eglass Calstar west coast series 870 7' 15-40 rating or the eglass seeker 270h 8' 15-40 rating also. I like the soft tip for casting live bait and the backbone to pull on these rods. The flex in the old style eglass gives you the ability to fish the spectra or braid backing which you need so you dont pull hooks, as spectra has no flexibilty but has sensitivity to feel your bait better than mono. Nowadays fisherman are using fluoro leader straight to braid and this would be fine with these type of rods. I always use a short 50 to 75 ft of mono topshot personally which is just my old school way of fishing and I have no problem getting bit.
JIM

MeanMachine

Thanks to each and everyone of you for your replies.  I learned plenty!!

Aloha! 

MeanMachine

Finally completed my 2 modified 145 squidders.  Only took around 4 years to complete. Filled with 400 yds of 60# hollow braid. A special thanks to both Alans, Tom, Sal, Randy, and every member of this forum who provided helpful information, I couldn't have done it without all of you.  It was a long process but worth it!!!

sabaman1

JIM

Alto Mare

Those look nice Damian, good job!
The 150 is a nice size, enjoy them!, I mean 145.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Very nice!
4 yrs. prolly means lots of option research, testing and sounds like a good way to roll. Usually, I am thinking about changing something on at least one reel after every fishing trip. Sometimes I just godda pick-up a reel play with it a bit to wanna modify something.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!