Torium 20 drag?

Started by captscott, June 07, 2020, 03:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

Torium HGA or original HG?

If it's an original with the "dartanium" drags, they're trash, replace with carbontex. If it's a modern one with "Dartanium 2" they're woven CF and essentially no different to Carbontex.

Can you describe the symptoms a little better? A fish pulling on your line is a poor way to measure drag performance.

Realfunone

The way it was described to me as the drag pressure kept backing off during the fight. Had to constantly tighten the drags. This has the cf drags and like I said it's only a year old and used a couple times.

alantani

usually it's because the metal drag washers are out of order......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Is the spring (2063 Star Drag Spring) under the handle missing?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Realfunone

The little mini one? No  it's there . it's never been worked on. I'm thinking that he left the drags buttoned down since last year and their compressed. I like the idea of adding a shim on top under the star?

Brendan

A friend of mine brought his sons Torium 20 to me with the same complaint. I replaced the existing drag washers with Carbontex from Smooth Drag and cleaned up the mess left behind from the old washers. I didn't see anything else that appeared wrong. I guess I need to follow up and see if the problem still exists.
Tight lines, Brendan

Realfunone

Brendan did that reel have carbon fiber drags ?  I guess I will replace also.

Brendan

it  was a gooey mess. I cant find pictures but I replaced with Carbontex. I have not heard the results. I will try to contact him as i'm sure he has got a few fish on it by now.
Tight lines, Brendan.

Realfunone

So I replaced with smooth drags. I did mic the old against the new. New we're thicker and it appeared that the weave of the washer is more pronounced. Maybe the old ones were just compressed. I g@ve the reel back. Hopefully that does the trick. I think it will.

Gfish

So you pro. repair guys don't test stuff before you get a repaired/maintenanced reel back to 'em? That'ed be like them car repair mechanics: "you come down here on your time, p/u your vehicle, pay the bill and the test drive is all on you, including the time you spend bringing it back if it ain't right"
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brendan

I didn't take it fishing but I did pull line off repeatedly. And by no means a professional. Favor for a friend.
Haven't heard results from son As we don't have each other's contact information.
Brendan.

Realfunone

Quote from: alantani on June 08, 2020, 03:04:21 PM
ok, then there is one last thing.  there is a carbontex drag under the main gear.  at the beginning, it was just a hair too thin and would not allow you to get full drag out of the reel.  it's possible that the drag washers has become compressed and now the problem is worse.  one option would be to get one of the new drag washers that smooth drag now uses.  what i used to use was the penn ht-100 #6-113h.  that did the trick.  if you have one available, give it a try. 

if needed, i can drop them into the mail to you.  send me a pm and let me know. 
Alan your suggestion ht100#6 . What does the #6 mean?

alantani

the part number is 6-113h.  that's the drag washer that goes in the 113h penn senator. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!