Strange 2/0 Drag Stack

Started by Cuttyhunker, June 07, 2020, 03:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

This well used 111 had a frozen drag when I started on it, some of the disks were frozen to the washers and razored them apart.  Is this a legit 5 stack setup or just a mess?  Photo is laid out left to right, bottom to top.
Thanks
Doomed from childhood

Maxed Out

Looks legit to me.

Question: is this an older 2/0 with outer drag access ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

It does look correct, but would perform much better with fresh drags, if you were going to fish it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Now that you have it apart, make some carbon fibre washers to fit, make sure the drag stack is the same height, as long as the second eared wash fits in the groove on the main gear it should be good, only a small reel through so dont use to much drag with it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cuttyhunker

The stack is internal and after messing around cleaning and greasing the stack, did a reinstall, the upper eared washer just made it into the gear slot and it seems to be okay now. The 5 stack
update may have never been greased as several of the drags were frozen solid to the washers seizing up the whole system.  This one has been fished hard, it works fine now, but is a seller, not a keeper.  Had never seen a 5 stack on such a small platform before.  Thanks for the input
Doomed from childhood

foakes

Are you intending to grease with Cal's and install new CF washers -- or just sell it as is?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on June 08, 2020, 10:34:01 AM
   The stack is internal and after messing around cleaning and greasing the stack, did a reinstall, the upper eared washer just made it into the gear slot and it seems to be okay now.
   Had never seen a 5 stack on such a small platform before. 

After looking at this again I guess instead of saying it was "correct" I should have said it was "correct configuration" for a 5-stack...which is exactly what many fishermen convert these 2/0s to. The original stock drag set up was a 3-stack. It used 1 red fiber washer and 2 thick brake lining discs. By removing those thick washers there is room for a much better 5-stack. Something I've noted while converting these small Senators to the 5-stack is that top eared washer will sit lower into the edge if you file and lap the metal washers nice and flat. You can also slightly tweak the ears downward as shown in this photo.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cuttyhunker

In this part of the world the old black well used Penn's are not highly sought after, what will happen this one is that it will be set up to one of the smaller old 60's or 70's boat rods I'm overloaded with, put in a rack at the chandlery, and go for $25, usually by Gramps for the Grands.  After the tear down and razoring apart the drags with a re-grease everything runs smoothly enough for years of sinker bouncing. The hi speed Penn's, or equivalent reels still command the value here for the upgrades.
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

DUHHHH....wrong reel up there^^^^ here's the 2/0.  These thumbs are getting tinier all the time, it couldn't possibly my eyesight getting worse ::)
Doomed from childhood