06-06 Ahi

Started by Tightlines667, June 07, 2020, 11:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Keith invited me to join him and his friend Forest Saturday on his 20' Whaler Outrage out of Ko'olina. After studying the temp maps, and weather report, I picked out a spot 10nm WSW of and made plans to fish it for 0645-0845hr moonset bite.

We met at the boat @0545 and ran out to the 500fa before setting a 5 bait Ahi spread on 2-130s, 2-80s, and a 50 single speed (forgot the other 130). After a few miles I spotted my first ever Pygmy Killer Whale popping up boatside, and a couple of minutes later the long center went. Acted like a nice Otaru, but the hook pulled while moving the rod.

As we approached the numbers, found a widespread, fast moving bird pile moving W. As we approached the birds the temp quickly changed from 78.5° to 80°, birds sat down, and we marked fish at 50fa. Continued working the area and at around 0830hrs, on the third time we crossed into the hot water side, got the telltail violent splash on the long flat. Neva fails, bugga had to hit the only 50 in da spread. Took 45 minutes to bring him to gaff. Mission accomplished.
Looked like the fish moved a few miles further offshore, and winds/weather was becoming a bit too sporty, so we pounded our way back inside. Found a False Killer on the 500fa Ko'Olina bouy so we called it a day. Back at the dock by 1430hrs.

Fish weighed out @ 140lbs.

All in all a good day on the water.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Jimmer

Beautiful ahi - I hope I get to fish Hawai'i again someday.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Gobi King

Nice,
how fast were you guys trolling?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

David Hall

great report Jonathan, that is some sporty looking water, surfers love that big swell, fishermen not so much.

Bill B

As always good report...now time to get your boat finished for its shake down cruise....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!