Adding Increased Drag to a Reel

Started by foakes, June 08, 2020, 03:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Thought that  I should add that lever drags get harder to pull off the smaller the reel gets.  And that star drags can compensate for some of the drag inefficiency by stacking multiple drag surfaces.

-J

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Dominick on November 18, 2021, 09:43:23 PM
There is no bigger thrill in fishing than dropping the reel in gear when a large rooster fish is taking line.  I do it with all my fishing in Mexico, from tuna to dorado.  I like it and I know how to fix the reel if it goes down.  Dominick
I will toss my logs onto the fire here.  Actually everyone has valid points.  But one that I want to throw out there for folks like Dominick and myself that still fish what my friends refer to as "barbaric ancient gear"  (old one speed star drags) I will say, that on all of my hotrodded 113H that I have taken pains to contour the both the engagement surface of the pinion as well as the lug on the spool to get smooth, solid engagement as opposed to two engagement surfaces slamming into each other under load.  And yes, there is not a whole lot of material on the engagement side of the pinion to get happy with a dremel... - john