Dam Quick 600B

Started by Balvar24, June 09, 2020, 02:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

Should be here in a couple of days.  I see several 700's but not many 600's.

What do I have?  I fish almost completely with spinning tackle.

What would be a good companion rod?

philaroman

Fred, et al covered whole Champion lineup under 700B:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31148.0

Balvar24

Thanks.

What size line are these good for?  I'm new to the bait casting game.

foakes

Quote from: Balvar24 on June 10, 2020, 01:05:12 AM
Thanks.

What size line are these good for?  I'm new to the bait casting game.

Here are a few pages of information from one of the owners manuals I have --

600B is just a very slightly narrower version spool -- the "B" means it has ball bearings instead of slide bearings.

I have all of the parts for these -- likely won't need anything outside of a spring or a new pawl, of even that.  Not much to go haywire on these.  Very tough bait-casters.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

Thanks for the information Fred.  I really appreciate it.

Balvar24

Thanks for the help Fred.  A little cleaning and some oil/grease and I'm off to the races.

thorhammer

I love these old Quicks- my dad's favorite. I'd run 12-14 lb mono and let it rip

foakes

The 600 is really neat because it is so narrow.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Looks equitable to a 4000-width Abu, and I love those on bass or jigging braid for stripers. i only have 500 DQ Champion that was Pop's.

Balvar24

How light could you go on a reel like this?

Berkley has an inexpensive ultralight casting rod.  Would I have any luck casting below 1/4 oz?

Sharkb8

You said you were new to using bait casting reels, I wouldn't go to light of line because you will be getting a few bird nest and they will be worst and harder to get undone.

Kim

oc1

Quote from: Balvar24 on October 01, 2021, 06:05:47 PM
Would I have any luck casting below 1/4 oz?
Assuming it's like an Ambassadeur, I think you would be disappointed with a quarter-ounce unless it is really close-up work.

I'd put 20# braid on it in order to squeeze out a few extra yards.

How large are the brake blocks (centrifugal weights)?  Pictures?

Balvar24

Quite a bit smaller than my big fingers.

mo65

Great looking reel Balvar. Ebay has loads of 700s but the 600 and 800 are harder to find. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sandbar

Quote from: mo65 on October 03, 2021, 12:01:20 PM   Great looking reel Balvar. Ebay has loads of 700s but the 600 and 800 are harder to find. 8)

Sensei,
Do you fish any of these series of DAM reels?
I graduated from Zebco reels in my youth to Penn SS spinning reels in adulthood.
I just purchased a DAM 700B today on EBay out of curiosity. I look forward to taking it apart and seeing how bait casters work.
What would it take to have DAM bait casters own a spot in the conventional and baitcaster area of Al Tani?
-Steve