Starfire, Monday July 13th, 2020 - FULL!!!!!!!!

Started by alantani, June 09, 2020, 09:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: thorhammer on July 13, 2020, 08:02:51 PM
I see my man Billy-boy!!! Looks great! miss you guys! if this covid crap ever goes away I'm coming out!!!!! Had to cancel wife's 50th birthday trip (July 4) but she is all about coming to San Fran and meeting the Tani's et al! Except Dominick...I warned her about that guy :) But Linda, yes !!!

hope you guys did well today!!
You're just worried that she will be attracted by my animal magnetism.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Quote from: alantani on July 13, 2020, 10:43:17 PM
Tanja won Randy's prize!!!!!

IF.... you want to view the un touched photo, PM me your your email or cell number & I'll send it out in my personal account which is unrestricted by Alan's 12 yr old rule!!!!

Gary I'll send your a photo please pin it in the outside bathroom we use when we visit!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bill B

Had a great time meeting more of the Ohana.  Alan put me up in the single suite next to the laundry room. Food was fantastic and the spirits were taken in moderation. Everyone "looked" OK to drive in the O-Dark 30 hours to get to the landing. Check in was quick and painless, we boarded at 0600 hrs.  All gear was rigged and stowed and we were off.

I was surprised the Starfire was as quick as she was and within the hour we made our first drop.  A few of the youngsters obliged us with chumming the fish as we motored along. And for most of the morning.  🤢  We fished at 300' all day which provided some good arm/back workouts. Shrimp flies and whole squid were the hot ticket today. Almost every stop yielded good quality fish.  Alan's jackpot grouper had black spots on it. Never seen that before. I saw only one ling cod keeper, and 2 petrole, Jonathan landed a short ling first thing in the morning.

The Neptuna made its maiden voyage.  Worked great and even Wayne made a drop with it.  Next time it goes out I'm going to put an old school rail plate on it to make it more manageable for rock fish. I tied some shrimp flies and one of them is much worse for the wear and was really popular with the Rock cod. 

Randy's door prize provided lots of laughs when it was opened 🤣🤣 Especially considering who won it.  😉. Looking forward to the next Starfire trip.  The 4 hour commute from Crestline wasn't too bad and I got home with enough daylight to clean the gear up before bedtime. The crew is continuing the party this evening, so all bets are off for who is able to drive in the AM.

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Big Tim

Must not forget the golden carp award 🏆

Donnyboat

Ay Wayne did the drag work okay with that one, all the help we gave you must have came in handy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pjstevko

It was a great trip with amazing food, good fishing and new and old friends!

pjstevko

More pics

oc1

OK, I'll bite.  What's the last one.
-steve

El Pescador

Alright Kids, Ready for some more photos!!!!

I left San Mateo, it was warm, hit San Jose at 97 Degrees,

Hit King City all the way to Paso Robles - 110 degrees!!!!

Arrived in Morro Bay - stopped by Taco Temple to pick up for Buddy Boy Rick his favorite - Giardiniera Salsa!!!!  Picked up a half a gallon for him.

Arrived at the Club House, and guess who are the FIRST TWO cast of online characters I see!!!!!   Jonathan (Theswimmer) and BIG Tim!!!

Ellen is selling LOTS of rods, reels and terminal tackle at a price I cannot post here.  VALUES galore!!!

PJ gets cranking on dinner, here Tri Tip he brought from his local butcher - and some chicken sticks.

Ellen make sushi bake - sushi rice with shrimp or crab with seaweed - it was very good!!!

To eat it, you take a piece of thin dried seaweed,

Place a dollop of the sushi bake atop the seaweed and enjoy!!!!

Jonathan brings his handmade salsa verde!!!!   Son, you need to post this in the recipe section!!!  THIS WAS THE BOMB!!!!!!!

Thank you Ellen for making this:    Hawaiian Mac Salad!!!!

DINNER!!!!

Alan brings out his new reel!!!   and ELECTRIC Daiwa reel!!!!!  I made fun of him until my 20th drop of 300' of water!!!!   Alan, you are a smart man!!!1

Power is supplied by an electric cord OR a battery pack!!!

OK, let's cut the chitchat, and go fishing.

4AM is GO TIME, we arrive at the dock at 5AM :o

The law is social distancing and face masks.  Everyone complied.

Once we were underway, standing outside and against the rail 6' apart, we could remove the masks.

We head out past Morro Rock,

The Starfire is a grand boat, we ran at 14 mph to the fishing grounds.  Wide with lots of interior seating and exterior covered seating.   Like a mini- San Diego Long Range boat!!!  I was impressed.   The two deckhands, BEST I've fished with.   PERIOD.

The corner of Portside and stern belonged to ...  you guess who!!!!!   ALAN!!!

The deckhand was making a breakfast burrito for $8!!!   Almost enough food for the entire day.

Here are Bill (Tarfu) and PJ!!!!   Bill holding his Cradle rod with the Penn 349 attached.   I fished it, and the reel sitting as low as it is make reeling so smooth.

PJ is sampling one of Jennifer's treats - a childhood favorite - Rice Krispie Treats!!!

IT was 1 1/2 hour run to the fishing grounds.   WELL WORTH the effort.   RED's are what we mostly caught.   RED's are Vermillion Rockfish.

Someone brought in this Wolf Eel - freaky looking - never seen one before.

Jonathan brings his super narrow - 501 PURPLE P21XN TIB frame reel - RANDY if you are reading this, PLEASE FIND ONE FOR ME!!!!  SERIOUSLY!!!!   Larger arbor than my surfmaster 100 WHICH works perfectly for the day made line pick up from 300 feet just that much easier.

Right behind Alan was Jonathan with one of his MANY big, fat Red's!!!   RED's make the BEST Fish Tacos for sure.

Checking the day's fish bag counts, RED's, RED's and more RED's.

Here is the first blue sky of the day.

We're done and heading home.

Here are Jonathan and PJ.  PJ's day job is to pluck guys like me from the backwoods.  His usual distress call is something like this... "64-year-old man, with a heart attack". PJ works on a helicopter either end of the rope.   Atop in the helicopter or on the bottom end assisting those that need help.    

Here is Khanh, enjoying the sunshine!!!!!  This young man is a very accomplished fisherman and hunter.   Nice to spend the day on the rail with him, EVENTHOUGH he fowled my fishing line SEVEN TIMES!!!!!    When we brought up the fouled lines, Khanh had his one or two big Red's me ... NADA.

Here is Tanja with a gift from one of our own - Randy Pauly!!!!  

I've had 42 email requests for the UNtouched photo to be sent out.  

RANDY!!!   What is the story behind this unique gift??????   PLEASE advise us!!!!

Jennifer's Brownies were the first to go, then the Rice Krispie treats were gone, last were the colorful trout cookies.   BUTT at day's end, all were enjoyed.

Randy????   Are you looking for one???   I'm serious!!!!

We are all back at the Clubhouse for another evening of fishing tails and fellowship.  Alan has brought together people of as similar style and it reely shows when we are together.  THANK YOU ALAN for setting up this trip and for the unique 12-year old rule.  THAT one item makes us different and sets the standard for others to match.

PLEASE, if you want to comment on these shots, PLEASE DO!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne for the great report & nice clear pics, good to see all the smiling faces, good times Great memories, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

pjstevko

Can someone turn the last pic of my post 90 degrees clockwise and turn the pic off me upright as well.....

Thanks

Gobi King

Good Fishing guys, the food, I mean, I will have to fly out next time just to eat!

:-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Dominick

It looks like I missed a good time with flat seas.   :'( :'( :'( Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.