Record Sea Bass in La Paz

Started by Dominick, June 11, 2020, 01:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

I spent my entire childhood catching these things that were 12-18 inches long, I am so happy to see that the fishery has recovered.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I know that they say that the fish was examined by an expert who verified that it's a white sea bass, but it sure looks like a totuava to me!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on June 11, 2020, 05:07:53 PM
I know that they say that the fish was examined by an expert who verified that it's a white sea bass, but it sure looks like a totuava to me!

I think the Totuava don't travel that far south, they are a northern Baja fish but anything can happen. Several years ago a diver speared a 93 lb WSB off our So Cal coast so the fish can grow that big.

Here is a link to Underwater Hunter and it lists the top WSB taken by spear and #1 was in Malibu, so no chance that fish was a Totuava.

http://www.underwaterhunters.com/Hist_Largest%20Calif%20White%20Sea%20Bass.asp

Vintage Offshore Tackle

You are right that totuava are normally found in the northern gulf, but strays have been found all of the way down the peninsula, and even farther south on the mainland side.   I read an article in which the diver that shot the 93 said that there was a much bigger fish swimming with his 93, but that he passed on it because it was a borderline shot, so WSB definitely get that big and larger, but the shape of the head on the fish in the photo still looks like a totuava.

theswimmer

Species argument aside ,
This is why , after a full day on the  boat , I take my surf rod down to the water and FISH....
Just my unasked for 2cts.

Best,
Jonny
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn