Stradic FL total seize .

Started by clueless, June 12, 2020, 01:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clueless

A speeding boat caught my line and nearly emptied the spool before i was able to stop it and surprisingly i was able to get all my line back but i noticed when i loosened the drag to pull some line off the spool would not spin either way .

The spool seems locked and i'm unable to set the drag at all .  This is the first time ever using the reel .

What do you think the issue is ?

Thank you

boon

Drag stack melted into a pile of goop? Does the drag knob still operate as expected? I would definitely be stripping the drag for a look anyway.

clueless

Yup , it smells like burnt rubber .  Drag stack was literally melted together . I finally was able to remove the drag washers .  Don't know if they're re usable but really really appreciate your help .

clueless

Comparing the drag washers to the Stradic FL schematic i have a total of 5 including a single metal eared washer and two graphite/carbon disk washers .  The schematic shows 6 total pieces .

Maybe that's why the drag got cooked .

foakes

Best to just toss out the old fiber drag washers -- just like brake linings on a car -- they will do you no good after they have been scorched and ruined.

Get Carbon fiber replacement drag washers, use Cal's grease, and a new under gear washer also.

Flat-lap sand the metal drag washers with fine Emory paper folded flat over a 1/4" piece of glass.  This will smooth them and improve function.

After a service, drag replacement, testing all functions, lube & oil -- if nothing else was tweaked or damaged -- it should be better than when new.

Did you get the guys license number?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

A speedboat, whoa! No offense, but that mighta looked pretty funny to bystanders.
How's the part of the drag knob that pushes against the top of the drag stack? That part on my older FJ is plastic and might melt/deform under those conditions.
Also, I'd check the whole knob assembly, there's more plastic parts up in there, start by pulling off the rubber waterproff covering, if your knob has one.

I once saw a guy lose his whole rig to a sailboat. Dragged it right off the beach while he was bait-fishing with a bobber. He never got it back, bad, bad, bad, but the funny part was when he dove into the water after it, throwing a screaming tantrum.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

clueless

Thanks for the help gentlemen .  I never fish around other people so no embarrassment noticed although quite a few sea birds i'm convinced were laughing at me .  Speeding boat that close to the shore is rare but since i live "Murphy's law" of course it snagged my line and nearly emptied the spool .

I'm convinced some boaters do this on purpose . Drag knob is fine .  I never saw a guy dive in to the surf screaming for his rod and reel but if i did i would laugh my #### off .  I did see a guy go head first into a trout stream once after losing a fish earlier in the day.  He was so determined to not have another one get away he actually vaulted himself off of this large rock head first into the water and had this large trout in a headlock struggling with it with both arms until he was able to pin it against part of the rock to prevent it from escaping , no joke .

I thought i was hallucinating,  i couldn't believe it

It was one of those large breeder trout that they used to tag in the Rockaway River in N.J that resulted in a prize if you landed one.  Never seen an all out brawl to the death with a fish like that before.  Amazing