What’s your favorite way?

Started by gstours, June 15, 2020, 03:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

To deal with a problem,  🦀 fresh is the best, then freeze the rest.  Just wondering.

philaroman

so what's the problem? 
butter quarantine? 
lemon embargo? 
garlic insurrection?

Gfish

I would think; freeze the extra quickly. Processing crab exposes it to airborne bacteria and it's probably best to halt that process asap. Freezing doesn't kill the bacteria but stops the growth and decomp. process, until it gets thawed out again.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Picking the meat from the crab became boring,  so every once in a while a leg pc went into my trap! :D
    Vacuum sealing and frozen,  good food is coming.   Crab bisque is a favorite here,  and crab pattys of course.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jon_elc

i've read you can cook 'em and then freeze them whole, sandwiched between 2 paper plates.  my freezer is small, so i last year when I had eaten my fill, i tried freezing a shelled meat.  A couple of months later whilst sheltered-in-place, I pulled it out for a snack.  all of the moisture came out of the meat and it was kind of stringy. 

maybe i need a vacuum sealer

gstours

Fresh is the best. ;)  But the meat must be removed from the shell, vacuum seal always.  To prevent the moisture entering the sealing chamber we use a folded paper towel and put it inside on top of the product keeping it as tite as possible to the sides of the bag,  then seal it, use a double seal.  you will see the moisture wicking up as usual butt 98% stays in the bag.  the seal area is dry and seals normally
   The crab should be used in cooking dishes in 3-5 months
  Personally,   frozen crab is not used in salads in MJ,s house..  .

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Dominick on June 15, 2020, 04:57:05 PM
Yum, crab cakes... Dominick

The *ONLY* way to freeze crab meat.
... and frozen crab cakes beats anything else in the icebox.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.