Newell 500 gear interchangeability

Started by kimopods, November 28, 2020, 08:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimopods

Howzit everyone,

Sorry in advance if this question has already been answered. I'm wondering if it is possible to change the 500 series 3.2 gears to a higher ratio. Specifically ProChallenger 4.8 gears. The description for the PC 4.8 gear set states that it is not compatible with lower geared (3.2) reels. I am assuming it works with either the 4.6 or 5.5 geared reels.

I found an old post on BD stating that the "spool shaft spindle" on the 3.2 reels is larger than that of the higher geared reels. Does this mean that in order to swap from a 3.2 gear ratio to higher, you would also need to swap to the higher gear corresponding spool? If that makes any sense? Also what effect if any would a Tiburon spool play into this gear swap scenario. Any info would be much appreciated.

Mahalo, James

Bryan Young

Aloha Kimo,

Yes, it you have a 500 series with a 3.2:1 gear ratio, if you swap out the gears for a higher gear ratio, you will need the higher speed spool plus a high speed yoke, and eccentric.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kimopods

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 28, 2020, 10:50:38 AM
Aloha Kimo,

Yes, it you have a 500 series with a 3.2:1 gear ratio, if you swap out the gears for a higher gear ratio, you will need the higher speed spool plus a high speed yoke, and eccentric.

Mahalo for the clarification Bryan.

Newell Nut

The high speed eccentric or jack lever will not work unless the side plate is modified. Best to just buy a high speed reel.

Dwight

kimopods

Quote from: Newell Nut on November 30, 2020, 03:19:46 PM
The high speed eccentric or jack lever will not work unless the side plate is modified. Best to just buy a high speed reel.

Dwight

Thank you Dwight

Knowing that now will definitely lean me towards waiting for a high speed to pop up somewher. Rather then try the conversion route. Appreciate it.

James