7 stack drag

Started by Swami805, June 16, 2020, 12:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I wanted a little extra drag in my Newell 447 so I enlisted the help of Xchad (thanks Chad!!!) and Chad machined a recess in the bottom of the main gear like the old P series Newell's.   He also made cut outs in the side for the tabs of the eared washer. Using Newellnut's method ( thanks Dwight!) I attached a thin Eared washer From one of Bryan's drag kits with the ears ground off.  I was able to get 2 washers under the gear and 5 on the other side for a 7 stack. I'm pretty confident I got get another metal and CF under the gear for an 8 stack but the gear sleeve isn't cut low enough to accept another keyed washer
I haven't tested it on a scale yet to get a drag number but feel pretty confident I could fish 80lb on this reel. I've got about every upgrade there is for it I think.  Tiburon frame and spool, Bryan Young Young side plates, motive fab titanium star and handle, DD bridge,, ss gear sleeve from Cortez Conversions, and some fine machining from Chad.
Here's a few pictures
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

A few more pictures of the reel

RowdyW

I think that you will be extremely lucky to even get half of the drag you expect. Each under gear washer will not even equal each of the in the gear washers. JMO  I'm guessing about 30-35#'s max. It will be very interesting to see the actual test.            Rudy

Swami805

The 1st picture is the under side of the gear with the washers in it, didn't get one of it empty. It's a little deeper recess than a P series gear. There's still enough meat in the middle to go deeper I think, the limiting factor is the gear sleeve not cut low enough for a keyed washer.

Yeah Rudy I wasn't expecting a huge number, if I get a smooth 30lbs I'd be happy, after 25lbs I need a chiroprator anyway. Haha.

Newell Nut

Just be careful not to destroy the reel with excessive drag. The drag could exceed the reel capability.

Dwight

mo65

With 7 friction surfaces of that size of washer...I don't see any reason it shouldn't hit 30lbs. Whether on top or bottom of the gear, it's still a friction disc, and still pressing on the gear when tightened. Like you...about 25lb. is all I want to wrestle. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Very nice! That reel should feel very smooth at 25lb.
Good job👍
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

WOW!!!

That's amazing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

xjchad

I'm glad it worked out Sheridan, that's a sweet reel!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

MarkT

It has the same gears/drags as a Newell 200/300 series which makes them equivalent to a Jigmaster.  If the drag is the weak link and you strengthen it you just move the weak link somewhere else!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

great improvement Sheridan, awesome.

wondering how much drag it will have now
The Baja Guy

Hamachi

Wait, you still have a one stack under the gear. You'd have to have the gear shaft cut all the way to the bottom and a keyed washer between the eared washer and the gear. I'm not seeing it.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Bryan Young

I understand now what you are doing. You still have a 6-stack drag system. The one under the main gear will act as one friction washer because the carbontex between the Main gear and the eared washer will not be a friction surface as it will move together.

Very cool none the less. Almost like Accurate's star drag reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 17, 2020, 05:48:46 AM
I understand now what you are doing. You still have a 6-stack drag system. The one under the main gear will act as one friction washer because the carbontex between the Main gear and the eared washer.

Yeah...I didn't catch this earlier. I believe I'd have Chad take the keyed cut to the bottom and reap the reward of all the previous work. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

You guys are right!  I didn't catch that LoL!
Sheridan, this will probably work better if you rearrange the stack.
Remove the eared washer from the bottom.
Since the flat washer above the AR teeth is fixed solidly to the sleeve, it will act like a keyed washer.
One carbon washer on that.
Then the gear.
Then the standard stack.
Then add that eared washer from under the gear and another carbon on top.
If there's not enough room, let's look at what we can modify from there.
Husband, Father, Fisherman