An old DAM fly reel

Started by Steelyfinn, June 16, 2020, 04:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelyfinn

I recently acquired this old Dam trutta fly reel and am trying to date it.  After many searches, I have only found one picture of one of these reels with an unpolished spool face.  I figure it was probably produced in the early '50's Or before.
It was advertised as a spool, but I could see it was a reel without a foot ( I made the foot for the reel ).  I hope to find out what the original foot looked like. I've see a couple versions of foot for the trutta in the pics I've found - cast aluminum, screwed on and stamped metal, riveted on.
The reel cleaned up easy and with a couple drops of lube, it worked just fine.  It has a strong clicker and has a light compression drag from the spool adjusting knob with a leather drag washer.
I hope to fish with it soon to test out the foot and see how it holds up.

Jon

Donnyboat

I cant date it for you Jon, you did a good job with the foot, did it have any line on it, should fish good, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Steelyfinn

It did have some old fly line on it with some old black? Backing.

Jon

wfjord

No idea of the date, but I agree with you on '50s or older.  I'd bet Fred could provide more specific info about that.

That clicker assembly idea was apparently borrowed from that on a conventional reel.

theswimmer

Maybe move to Dam Quick as you find them.....
Great find !

Best JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

oc1

That was a really nice job shaping and attaching the foot.
-steve