Back in time: an Ocean City No. 209 'find' and still mint, Bamboo SW Rod

Started by RC4600, June 17, 2020, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RC4600

I'm more a Penn guy, but this jumped into my hand at the Mt. Dora Antique Boat Show Swap Meet last year (along with a minty Long Beach); if you can believe it was not even on a table it was laying on the cement parking lot with a pile of old junk reels. Guess I saved it's life. A little history, these were made 1949 to 1951, Model 209 "C", 3.2-1 gears, 150 yd spool, star drag, spool tension oil cap, chrome/brass spool, 6 pillar design, brass main gear & s/s pinion gear, green medallion. Listed as all Salt water. Very well made. Interesting reel I had never seen one before, I guess they are pretty rare.
OC's answer to the Mariner(?). Thought you all might like to see. It's mated up with an old San Diego Bamboo SW rod I've had for years. Looks cool on the wall. .....just as I swore off collecting.

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Very cool reel! First time I've seen this one...thanks for posting. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Definitely a take off of the Penn 49 except a bit narrower than a 49. With such a short production run, I'd say this model is tough to find in any condition

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Ron Jones

You'd be the king of the Party Boat in 51 with that combo! Very nice indeed.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Donnyboat

Lucky Man, great combo, I have a Ocean City, Bay City, that was kindly donated by Crow, thanks again Arlyn, it works under the same prinsible, I have`nt found a vintage rod to go with it so far. thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Man, that's a great outfit.  Show us more of the rod if it's convenient.  Does it have a label. Is San Diego a brand name?
-steve

RC4600

I used SD as a location, I lived there in the 80's early 90's. There were a lot of good swap meets back then, and old bamboo ocean fishing rods were worthless. I ended up finding quite a few, sold some and kept the best 6, this is one. I will start another post of a couple of them. This one is all original, no name  which was common back in the era they were built. So. Cal has always had a lot of custom rod builders even in the bamboo era of the 40's, 50's before f/g. I used to know the builders name but long forgotten. They were a work of art. The ones I have are straight, solid and fish able (not be me though) after 70+ years. More later, RC.

Alto Mare

That's  a nice combo, enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut